Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Re: The Ethics of Selling Capes

A number of years ago two hunters I knew heard about the bug bucks they could make if they shot a ram, did a full cape and sold the cape and the horns. They were both very fit and had plenty of backcountry experience but no sheep hunting experience. They set out with dollar signs in their eyes, despite me letting them know that they might end up in the red rather than the black. They were sure that they could go every year and make some good dollars to pad their income.

Sure enough, a few weeks later I see them, seems they were keeping their day jobs

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I guess if a person was wealthy then they wouldn't care....but if I was a working stiff (like I am) then I wouldn't leave a $1000 bill on the ground.

People wreck capes on occasion and look for a replacement.
    Plus, if everyone who didn't want or need the cape sold the cape, the market would drop the price and problem solved?! (if it were a problem to begin with...)

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    Plus, if everyone who didn't want or need the cape sold the cape, the market would drop the price and problem solved?! (if it were a problem to begin with...)
    Very good point!
    supply and demand.
    Very difficult to monitor the reasons people choose to hunt. Big difference between selling a cape because you don’t need or want it vs hunting for a cape because it will net you extra income.
    I personally know the problem exists with hunting for capes but the extent of this activity is unknown.
    My fear with questionable hunting ethics is directly connected to the grizzly hunting ban and giving the activists more reasons to shut down more species available to us now. I can only assume we all share these concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I guess if a person was wealthy then they wouldn't care....but if I was a working stiff (like I am) then I wouldn't leave a $1000 bill on the ground.

People wreck capes on occasion and look for a replacement.
    Lets not allow our personal wealth or lack of it to justify our means. Most of us are working stiffs

guest Guest

I've given a few away to help those that have some how wrecked theirs. FREE. Trying to help others.
    Wouldnt feel right selling them. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    So, so true!
    Lets face it Bill, there are guys that can kill a ram every year...the number that are selling capes is too small to stress over.
    The big issue facing wild sheep is electronic data collecting and exchanging combined.
    I don’t think many old school sheep hunters will disagree with me on that.
    What is the number of those selling capes.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    How true.

Should we shut down packers, air charter businesses...etc.
    They make money off hunting.

Or would it be simpler to implement a one in three rule or a 5 year sit out if a hunter (resident or non resident) harvests a sheep of one sub species, thinhorn or bighorn.
    BC is the only place that can provide that kind of option for wild sheep.....might be worth thinking about.....I bet a few guys would be more selective if they couldn’t get an over the counter sheep tag every year.
    Simple cocept.... if you don’t pull the trigger you hunt until you do...after you shoot it’s time out on the bench.
    If the guy still wants to sell the cape.... the more power to him.
    IMO think sheep and goats in many areas should be on 1 in 3 or 5. some areas of region 4 had changes for sheep this year there is a few more MUs that should go on LEH before its to late. Heck lots of the guys say there just out there for they just like the country they live in. If they have shot a sheep or goat doesn't mean they have to
    sit at home they can still go and take others out, they just cant be the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    What is the number of those selling capes.
    i would think not very many.

Just like SSS has said, people destroy capes especially on August hunts where heat is an issue. Take a few first timers and have them correctly flesh, turn ears, split lips/eyes and keep enough cape and see how many can do it. That number won't be 100%, could be 90% but I bet 1/10 will goof something up if it is the first time not dropping a 'full head' off at the taxi.

That being said, my first ram I messed up on turning the ears. I turned them into two pieces!!!! I just kept turning and well you end up with cartilage in one hand and the hide in the other. Mistakes happen, luckily my taxi was able to glue it back together so no big deal.

Pack out a hide, you might be doing someone a HUGE favour that messed up a hide. I would have paid the $800-1000 for a hide for my first ram if I did mess it up beyond repair, it was a very special ram.

I have no problem saying that I have kept 3 out of 4 capes for myself, my third ram was special but I had no plans of mounting it other than euro style in an old Packer-Nelson bag. So I made the easy decision to leave it in the hands of my taxi for a credit.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    IMO think sheep and goats in many areas should be on 1 in 3 or 5. some areas of region 4 had changes for sheep this year there is a few more MUs that should go on LEH before its to late. Heck lots of the guys say there just out there for they just like the country they live in. If they have shot a sheep or goat doesn't mean they have to
    sit at home they can still go and take others out, they just cant be the shooter.
    I can’t disagree with your line of thinking here.