Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide Preperation tactics??

Hide Preperation tactics??

Hey guys

as we get closer to our upcoming trip just wondering what everyone does for cape preparation. We are planning to be on the back country for 8 days. Looking at the historical temps we’re assuming highs of 12 to lows up to -5 thinking in the shade should be pretty good to keep a hide air’d out.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

How many people pack salt it to salt the hide.
    Last edited by Astepanuk; 08-22-2018 at 08:24 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hide Preperation tactics??

Preparation H(ide)!

Salt is a must
    leave some at your main camp or drop off and hike some in
    the faster you can get the salt on and dry that thing out the better

Get a quick lesson on turning the ears, nose, lips & eyes.
    You will be a lot happier with the end result if you do a head mount over just putting salt on an unfinished cape.

I ALWAYS pack salt.....its not an option regardless of temps for me (unless I was hunting late season deer in -30 and could freeze solid)

Flesh really well, split everything and salt it down good.

For blood on a goat cape, put salt on the hair side (where the blood is) and wash out any blood you can with a water bottle on the hair side.

Cool temps are awesome, but I'd be carrying enough salt to ensure proper hide prep without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    I ALWAYS pack salt.....its not an option regardless of temps for me (unless I was hunting late season deer in -30 and could freeze solid)

For blood on a goat cape, put salt on the hair side (where the blood is) and wash out any blood you can with a water bottle on the hair side.

Cool temps are awesome, but I'd be carrying enough salt to ensure proper hide prep without a doubt.
    Thanks we still have a bunch of capacity left on our flight in so Ill be sure to pack a bunch of salt I'm guessing you guys bring course salt or pickling salt any recommendations.

All of this. Only way to go if you want a quality cape. Learn to flesh and turn ears and nose. You don't need a ton of salt and regular iodized salt is good enough. If I'm going way back, a kilo is enough if I flesh thoroughly. more waiting in base camp to clean and replace with fresh stuff.
    Last edited by Brez; 08-23-2018 at 06:34 AM.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Fine salt. Can buy a good sized bag of it a UFA and then for a flight I'd transport it in a 5 gallon bucket.

Fine salt. Can buy a good sized bag of it a UFA and then for a flight I'd transport it in a 5 gallon bucket.
    Thanks that's the plan Ill hit up UFA this weekend.

Do you guys flesh all the meat off rub it down with salt get any blood off then rinse the hide, then salt again.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Thanks that's the plan Ill hit up UFA this weekend.

Do you guys flesh all the meat off rub it down with salt get any blood off then rinse the hide, then salt again.
    The first chance you have to wash out any blood on the hair of the goat will be great. So, if that's right on the mountain with a bottle of water and a bit of run-off, then I'd take the chance to do it.

Once back at camp, I'd work on fleshing everything out really well. I'd salt it really well and also rub salt into any area that may still have blood in the hair (if you don't have the chance to wash it out of the hair, salt in the blood will help a bunch). From there, let the drying process start and you wont need to do any rinsing, etc. Re-apply more salt the next day and continue to let it dry up until you can fold it nicely.

That's a quick-and-dirty explanation. Heat, moisture, blood, and meat blocking salt (All bacteria issues) are all the enemies in hide prep.

If you want a shoulder mount, cut it long enough for a wall pedestal and take the front legs down to the knees. If you want a 1/2 lifesize, take a lot more than you 'think' you'll need. Lifesize, well, self explanatory. Nothing worse than not taking enough in the name of 'weight savings'
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 08-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.