Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Reusable Game Bags

Re: Reusable Game Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    TAG bags for backpack hunts...old home-made pillow case size game bags I've used for 25 years if near the truck or quad, and larger homemade versions for moose. We used cheap cotton bed sheet material for the homemade versions but they are 3X as heavy and bulky as TAG bags. TAG bags are tough as heck too.

Steve, you story on Susan finding evidence of sex in her washing machine was hilarious!!!
    Lol yes still chuckle at the memory of Susan at that moment..anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting Susan knows she is a God fearing prim and proper Lady in every sense of the word..at that moment she definately did not feel lady like or prim and proper..and everyone from 100 mile house to Quesnel heard her exclamation. ..
    Steven

used my new black ovis bags on my goat trip this year and they worked great. Just cleaned them in a bucket of warm soapy water with a splash of bleach and they came out spottless.

Check out High Caliber products in Calgary. They sell a 24 inch x 36 feet roll of reuseable of cheesecloth for $13. It stretches and is very durable, easy to tie and cut to make a custom bag.

What do you guys do to wash the smell out? As soon as I got home from dropping the meat off at the butchers I threw them in a tub of cold water and let them soak for a day. I forgot to add the dish soap though ����. I ended up taking them out after a day of soaking in cold water and rinsed them and then let them air dry on the lawn and tossed then in the wash machine with detergent but they still have some stains and a bit of smell from the bear. I tossed them back in the tub WITH dish soap and I'm going to repeat these steps. What do you guys do for washing these reusable bags? I don't really care about the stains just the smell and I want to make sure it's food safe.

I use oxygen based bleach (not chlorine bleach)

Check out the Allen Backcountry game bags.

Large high quality and stich count Pillow Cases.

Use over and over.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    What do you guys do to wash the smell out? As soon as I got home from dropping the meat off at the butchers I threw them in a tub of cold water and let them soak for a day. I forgot to add the dish soap though ����. I ended up taking them out after a day of soaking in cold water and rinsed them and then let them air dry on the lawn and tossed then in the wash machine with detergent but they still have some stains and a bit of smell from the bear. I tossed them back in the tub WITH dish soap and I'm going to repeat these steps. What do you guys do for washing these reusable bags? I don't really care about the stains just the smell and I want to make sure it's food safe.
    I've soaked home made meat bags made of sheets in a mix of cold water and dish soap and borax (baking soda will do) overnight and rinsed them out many times before even putting them in the washing machine.

I have some that I made with ripstop fabric. They are fantastic! You just have to make sure you get the stuff that doesn't have a DWR spray so they can breathe. I got the idea from the Argali game bags a buddy of mine has as they are a quick wash at the end of the trip and back to normal with no smells. This way I was also able to get sizes I wanted compared to sizes that are generic. Not to mention, there are a lot of colours to choose from, my just happen to be in robins egg blue, which makes for easy identification when hanging in a tree.

CJ

For moose and deer hunting, I made up a set of 4 queen sized bed sheets that I sewed up like a gigantic oversized pillow case. Bought brand new sheets on sale for obvious reasons. They will easily cover a full quarter of moose or a full deer when hanging in a tree or transporting in a vehicle. They clean up real well and don’t take up much storage room. Works just fine for our needs..