Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail between Savona and Deadman Lake

Re: Whitetail between Savona and Deadman Lake

Thinking of rattling in a whitetail would be pretty cool! It will be a total different hunting style
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    They aren't really just pockets anymore, pretty well taking over the region. Can't think of a general area within region 3 I have not found them.
    I haven't found the whities to migrate like the mulies where I hunt I region 3, I find they stay in their little area and don't really move, they head to the fields late and start heading back to their beds really early, I find if you want a shot at one you need to be sitting where they travel back to their beds atleast an hour before the sunrise, like 5am sitting and waiting, they spoke so easy, and once they know your there, game over, they will sound their alarm call, which is a high pitch scream to let others know somethings not right, then they all leave at this point pack up and go hunt mulies, also when hunting during the rut(November 18th) when walking in or trying to scout ALWAYS have a grunt tube, blow that sucker consistently like a dog sniffing the ground, this is what the bucks do they walk and sniff the ground and grunt, grunt, grunt grunt grunt, pause, grunt grunt grunt grunt, pause, then you may not spook em. then find your sitting spot, put out some tinks and sit and wait with the odd grunt once and a while, sit for about 4hrs or all day. not saying this is the only way to hunt these crafty animals but it is 1 way. good luck to all that are giving it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Thinking of rattling in a whitetail would be pretty cool! It will be a total different hunting style
    I find a grunt tube works better than the rattle , but use both and fool em, when it all comes together using both, it feels real good that a person was able to do it and feels like an accomplishment, good luck, knock 1 down

Grunt works but I will take a doe bleat over a grunt call all day long. Rattling doe bleat combo hunting scrapes is deadly

as for the other advice given it is good but things vary a lot and have experienced contradictions to it all. It depends on the pockets you’re hunting

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    I find a grunt tube works better than the rattle , but use both and fool em, when it all comes together using both, it feels real good that a person was able to do it and feels like an accomplishment, good luck, knock 1 down

Thanks BB, I love hunting the muley rut for hogs, haven't gotten my hog yet but have seen them while hiking all over hell acres... The white tail chase is interesting, thinking of getting some scouting done along with some cameras, and possibly build a tree stand. It's more the thrill of the chase but obviously more gratifying when you tag out!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Seen a bunch in the fields just past Red lake at the junction... I would think you might catch one on the back side of the lake ... Carbine hills
    Lots and lots of private property up that way and not all posted (due diligence is on the hunters not the property owners by law) so be careful.

I haven't found the whities to migrate like the mulies where I hunt I region 3, I find they stay in their little area and don't really move, they head to the fields late and start heading back to their beds really early, I find if you want a shot at one you need to be sitting where they travel back to their beds atleast an hour before the sunrise, like 5am sitting and waiting, they spoke so easy, and once they know your there, game over, they will sound their alarm call, which is a high pitch scream to let others know somethings not right, then they all leave at this point pack up and go hunt mulies, also when hunting during the rut(November 18th) when walking in or trying to scout ALWAYS have a grunt tube, blow that sucker consistently like a dog sniffing the ground, this is what the bucks do they walk and sniff the ground and grunt, grunt, grunt grunt grunt, pause, grunt grunt grunt grunt, pause, then you may not spook em. then find your sitting spot, put out some tinks and sit and wait with the odd grunt once and a while, sit for about 4hrs or all day. not saying this is the only way to hunt these crafty animals but it is 1 way. good luck to all that are giving it a shot.
    Careful with the "tinks" and other scents. Now illegal in BC if derived from animals/cervids (ie urine etc). I think synthetic is still ok.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Lots and lots of private property up that way and not all posted (due diligence is on the hunters not the property owners by law) so be careful.
    Yes lots of private property up that way ... it was nice seeing them playing around in the fields and actually coming right up to where the fence line was .. and the posted no hunting sign ... little buggers .. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Grunt works but I will take a doe bleat over a grunt call all day long. Rattling doe bleat combo hunting scrapes is deadly

as for the other advice given it is good but things vary a lot and have experienced contradictions to it all. It depends on the pockets you’re hunting
    Thx for critiquing my advice, as stated its 1 way of hunting them, I didn't say 1 way is better than another, but seems you have it nailed down, ill be sure to let you give any advice to advice seekers before I respond, have a good day

Thx for critiquing my advice, as stated its 1 way of hunting them, I didn't say 1 way is better than another, but seems you have it nailed down, ill be sure to let you give any advice to advice seekers before I respond, have a good day
    Was only adding to it with my own experience and stating things vary from each location

It was not in anyway trying to down play your advice. The fact of the matter is when it comes to hunting most have their own style and if it is achieving them results that’s all that matters

Don’t see why you were offered

actually after reading my op I can see how it could be taken wrong the way it was worded. Price of a rushed post well being called into see the dentist
    Last edited by Wild one; 08-23-2018 at 02:04 PM.