Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whitetail between Savona and Deadman Lake

Re: Whitetail between Savona and Deadman Lake

I'm going to head up this weekend to put up a camera for shits and giggles, I know where there's lots of deer traffic so see what we can come up with? That's if mudslides don't happen...

I'm thinking with the liberal season it would be kind of cool to learn how to hunt them in my area where I have a cabin! Have to watch some rattling videos of the hillbillies down south!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

as you gain elevation in region 3 above the sagebrush there is a seam in many areas where the decidous starts below the fir or spruce forests.

That my freind is where you find whitetails.

if you see 1 they are like rabbits there will be thirty more starring at you in the thick stuff.

most whitetails around region 3 are in pockets and are mostly nocturnal. i shoot most of them the last half hour of light.

That said the magic time of novemeber 18th until season end it is not uncommon to see a buck with his nose to the ground trailing a doe he will not if look up when you yell at him.. umm whitetail thats what i am having for lunch right now.

stay down low by vidette
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Thats a great looking Whitey Darksith! Getting me excited to head out, the weather is looking like tonnes of rain this weekend so maybe head out for the long... Be pretty cool getting one of those bad boys...
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I saw one last year near the highway between logan lake and the coq.

White tails staying low is a bit of a myth/misconception. I have seen white tails higher than muleys, especially late in the season as they don't seem to migrate down like the muleys. I have personally seen them right up near the top of Sun Peaks and people hunt white tails up in the tops of the Peruvian Andes. They are extremely adaptable and resilient. I also think there are more than just pockets of them now in Region 3, they seem to be spreading out quite consistently. Have even seen them up Jamieson/Bonaparte plateau, one of the last areas I would have expected to see them but good luck hunting them there as most of it's so thick you can't walk through it. I agree with walks with deer on that if you see 1, there's likely 50 more out of sight.

like you said , pockets, need to find the small pockets

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    like you said , pockets, need to find the small pockets
    They aren't really just pockets anymore, pretty well taking over the region. Can't think of a general area within region 3 I have not found them.

Good info in this thread .... so is the WT rut on at the same time as mulie? Someone mentions Nov 18 above but I always figured for whites that it was a bit later in the season.

Seen a bunch in the fields just past Red lake at the junction... I would think you might catch one on the back side of the lake ... Carbine hills