Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Underwater Crayfish Trapping: The Sequel

Re: Clear Underwater Crayfish Trapping: The Sequel

Thanks for posting! I’ve got a couple of the traps you mentioned coming. I use a modified prawn trap but the problem I find is I catch a lot of fish in them also.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Thanks for posting! I’ve got a couple of the traps you mentioned coming. I use a modified prawn trap but the problem I find is I catch a lot of fish in them also.
    If you ordered the same ones from Amazon, be sure to sew the ends of the zippers for the bait bag and the big one you can open to pull out crayfish or dump them out. There is a single piece of thread holding things together so it needs to be re-enforced or you will lose the zipper in short order, guaranteed (glad I field-tested them the week prior)

These traps are manufactured rather poorly. The original ones I ordered from the UK over a decade ago had much thicker mesh netting as a whole and the bait bag was slightly stronger.... mind you, they had the same issue with the zippers needing to be re-enforced. With these traps I felt like the crayfish might claw their way in and out of the trap. It didn't happen though but I still think it is possibility. With our old traps (which we still have) they were fairly forgiving if you tossed them from shore with a rope and snagged them on stuff on the way back in... I don't think this ones from Amazon will take much abuse. That said, they are cheap and they do the job... just not sure how long they will hold up yet. I don't think I will get too many years out of them.

I pointed out the quality difference when filming but decided not to post that part or name the site I bought them from years ago. It could be the same manufacture just cheaping out.

Anyway... once you get them, re-enforce those zippers and buy some extra bait bags from the dollar store for when the stock ones get ripped up (they sell them as little goodie bags... they are a nylon type material with draw strings... though you could improvise with a nylon stocking too as long as the wife doesn't catch you)

We catch quite a few fish as well... mostly bullheads (not sure if that is the correct name, but you get the idea) sometimes stickleback (though often those are small enough to swim in and out) ... I caught a couple rainbow trout once which was pretty cool. Luckily they weren't too stressed and had lots of gas in the tank when I released them.

cool video, I enjoyed that a lot! maybe one day ill have to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSix View Post
    cool video, I enjoyed that a lot! maybe one day ill have to give it a go.
    Glad you enjoyed it! If you are on Vancouver Island there should be some really good places especially if you are on the southern half of the island. Let me know how you make out. I have been pretty curious about catching crayfish on the island (lakes, rivers and streams) Fall is the best time for crayfishing as they are larger and feeding more aggressively.

What about in Alouette Lake? I'm going for Kokanee next week and I wanted to throw my traps in for the first time while I'm there.

Man that’s a biggy !
    Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Got the pics! Big cray for sure:

Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    What about in Alouette Lake? I'm going for Kokanee next week and I wanted to throw my traps in for the first time while I'm there.
    Don’t know about Alouette Lake but would be good to know . Fished for them once in the Pitt River where the Alouette River enters .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I love me some crayfish !!! When I lived down south, I used a shrimp bait net to get them. The net is designed to pull along behind a boat along rivers but hook that thing to a 4wheeler and pull it in the bayou. You could get enough for a low country boil and invite about 20 people over. Everyone leaves with big belly and spicy tongue.

Since being on the island, Ive been dropping traps as often as I could. Going to try a few small lakes this season.

That video sure is a great one. Lots of big ones you caught. Those mud bugs sure are underrated up this way, but they are some good eats