Thread: Babine Mountains - Mountain Goat - Tips

Babine Mountains - Mountain Goat - Tips

Throwing it out to my fellow HBCers, Ive finally won a mountain goat draw in the Babine Mountains. Now its been a while since Ive been up that way, and the current wildfires have me running around the wrong parts of the province. I was thinking of hiking the Silver King to Mccabe trail. Should I focus on Silver King and Hyland Pass, or work Harvey mountain more via Mccabe and maybe Lyon Creek?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Babine Mountains - Mountain Goat - Tips

What's the question here

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    What's the question here
    He wants you to tell him where to shoot his goat

Silver king - mc cabe gets you into goat country quick as its a well used and maintained trail. You can also spend your first night in the cabin then strike out from there later. The billy's would be pushed back more a bit from these trails would be my guess? Little joe lakes trail off Babine lake road is another good option. I hiked up little joe lakes a few years ago and found less foot traffic that way but saw goats fairly quick. Camping at the lakes is beautiful and there is some good rugged terrain there to check out.

If you can get a second vehicle you could also set up a loop hunt. park a vehicle at two different trail heads.

When you going? I'm taking my school class for a trip up to Silver king Sep 20 and 21. Would love to see you coming out with a goat then ha ha. I have seen goats up highland pass but have not explored the Babines much to confirm other places. Friends were in there last week and saw a group of 32 goats, probably nannies and kids. Good luck. If you need a contact in Smithers shoot me a PM.

Hike hard, glass lots, mix in some good weather and you should be able to find goats anywhere in that range. Good luck!