Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quail, pheasant hunting okanagan

Quail, pheasant hunting okanagan

Hello team hbc. On the hunt for a bc interior upland slam will call it that at least.
    Ruffed, spruce, blues, chukars are no problem.
    I have a solid game plan for quail and a pheasant, I think I can find them on some crown land ive scouted out.
    I know this is not a common bird to hunt here bc and most who know where they are, are tight lipped which is totally understandable. I probably won’t share my game plans either unless some info is traded with me haha. Anyways I plan on some quail limits come October so when that happens I’ll post up pics for sure.
    Anyways if any one has private land that’s obviously great and I’d love to come hunt. Or if you have a tip my inbox is open. I’ve hunted the interior pretty hard and have info for trade on all species here so more than happy to chat about whatever and point you in the directions of moose goats deers bears and upland

hunting season so close now ladies and gents see you in the field

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Quail, pheasant hunting okanagan

Slingshot around my parents house in Kelowna gets yea a limit on quail

Lotsa quail on the Island, I shoot a few every year for my young dogs and could shoot lots more if I wanted that being said they are on the upswing here and I wouldn't want people starting to shoot "some limits" at this time, so suffice it to say there are quail on the island.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I've seen lots of pheasants in salmon arm, should be somewhere outside of town that holds pheasants

I have a young German Shorthaired Pointer and would love to take him out quail hunting as well. I was in Penticton last week and they were all over private property, I saw two on Crown land on the side of the gravel road close to town but unfortunately didn’t have the time to scout further. Would have liked to let the dog out and see if he could flush any. Steelpulse, post some pics when you get some. All the best, and if I end up going back for a proper scout/hunt I’ll PM you and let you know how I did and where I went. I grew up hunting these birds (far away from here) and they’re a lot of fun and great eating. Not many people care much for them in BC.

Safety Tip: make sure you have your bright orange vest on because quail tend to fly low and hunters are more likely to “tag” each other because of target fixation. [I’ve seen it happen].

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermonster View Post
    I have a young German Shorthaired Pointer and would love to take him out quail hunting as well. I was in Penticton last week and they were all over private property, I saw two on Crown land on the side of the gravel road close to town but unfortunately didn’t have the time to scout further. Would have liked to let the dog out and see if he could flush any. Steelpulse, post some pics when you get some. All the best, and if I end up going back for a proper scout/hunt I’ll PM you and let you know how I did and where I went. I grew up hunting these birds (far away from here) and they’re a lot of fun and great eating. Not many people care much for them in BC.

Safety Tip: make sure you have your bright orange vest on because quail tend to fly low and hunters are more likely to “tag” each other because of target fixation. [I’ve seen it happen].

Have fun
    You're right with a lot of upland birds you really have to be careful, orange hat and vest because you don't want to get Cheneyed, and don't forget orange collars on the dogs. My yellow lab disappears in the yellow/brown grass but you can still see the orange collar.

For sure, that’s something I have to get for my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Hello team hbc. On the hunt for a bc interior upland slam will call it that at least.
    Ruffed, spruce, blues, chukars are no problem.
    I have a solid game plan for quail and a pheasant, I think I can find them on some crown land ive scouted out.
    I know this is not a common bird to hunt here bc and most who know where they are, are tight lipped which is totally understandable. I probably won’t share my game plans either unless some info is traded with me haha. Anyways I plan on some quail limits come October so when that happens I’ll post up pics for sure.
    Anyways if any one has private land that’s obviously great and I’d love to come hunt. Or if you have a tip my inbox is open. I’ve hunted the interior pretty hard and have info for trade on all species here so more than happy to chat about whatever and point you in the directions of moose goats deers bears and upland

hunting season so close now ladies and gents see you in the field
    Your inbox is full, I'd love to get out and work the dogs sometime.

Google maps helps lots of open area in the okanagan for upland birds.

My pup and I got is first one on opening day....hes a year and a half labradoodle.
    Was going to be the wife's designer dog but he turned out to be an excellent hunting dog! Unreal nose and drive, flushed and retrieved that pheasant like a champ.
    Anyways PM me steelpulse and I can show you some areas around vernon. I'm available in a couple weeks.