Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want some legs/hooves and blood

I want some legs/hooves and blood

If anyone is successful soon - I would love to get a bottle of blood and some hooves for training. My dog (German Wirehaired) has a really good nose and I thought it would be fun to train her on some tracking. We're planning to go out for some grouse but I think a little tracking would be fun.

I'm splitting time between Vancouver and Lac Le Jeune.

BTW - purchased all my tags today! This will be my first real season here!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: I want some legs/hooves and blood

I don't know when or if I'll be successful, but if I am I'll save you the hooves and some blood, I keep the organs for the dogs anyways so there's plenty usually.

Also I received your PM, will touch base this evening.
    Cheers.

Mucho appreciated!

If I get some supplies (hooves and blood) I can even work on training the dog during the time I'm in Vancouver. It will be fun to watch the folks who see her come running out of the woods at UBC with a deer hoof in her mouth....

If you still have meat in the freezer that was vacuum sealed, every time you thaw out a package you end up with a good 1/4-1/3 c. of blood. I thought that's what I'd like to try with my griff .

This is something Iam interested in doing myself with my drathaar pup. Post your method and progress.

In the meantime, you can practice with anything you feed him. I drain off the blood from his raw food, dilute it and put it in a little squirt bottle. run an interesting trail and hide his supper bowl at the end of the line.
    If he is on kibble, soak them and drain off the water. Started this when my Draht was a wee pup. He doesn't trust his eyes as much as his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    In the meantime, you can practice with anything you feed him. I drain off the blood from his raw food, dilute it and put it in a little squirt bottle. run an interesting trail and hide his supper bowl at the end of the line.
    If he is on kibble, soak them and drain off the water. Started this when my Draht was a wee pup. He doesn't trust his eyes as much as his nose.
    No doubt! I have one of those orange/blue chuck-it balls that my griff loves to retrieve. There'll be times when I chuck it out onto the field and she's misjudged how far to go out so she puts her nose to the ground and goes to work. Sometimes the ball will only be 5-10' from her and I'm wondering why she doesn't see it but her nose eventually takes her right to the spot.

The bird dogs I have had all tracked blood/scent of wounded animals naturally. They would ignore live animals to follow the blood. It shouldn't be hard to train your dog.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Lots of good comments. She’s not super food driven so using her kibbles might not work - other than she probably would do it for fun. I’ve been using a bit of raw which she likes so that could work.

On water retrieves with the dummy, if she doesn’t know where the dummy is, she finds it by scent. It’s fun to watch.

Once she she figures out what I want I think she’ll be a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    No doubt! I have one of those orange/blue chuck-it balls that my griff loves to retrieve. There'll be times when I chuck it out onto the field and she's misjudged how far to go out so she puts her nose to the ground and goes to work. Sometimes the ball will only be 5-10' from her and I'm wondering why she doesn't see it but her nose eventually takes her right to the spot.
    Same here... I have read that dogs do not see orange very well - it appears similar to green grass... very little contrast. Don't know if that is BS as I have seen other dogs - labs mostly, that seem to see orange way better than my Draht. That said, he is pretty indifferent to retrieving a ball - he'll do it, but only once or twice at a very leisurely pace. Put his Dokken mallard out there with scent... different story. Real birds... then the intensity kicks in.

Canadian Gun Dog Supply has Duck, Pheasant and Grouse scents on their website - no big game though. I keep a fully feathered mallard and a teal in the freezer as well - take it out, drag it around and hide it... then let the dog out.

Trouble with collecting blood for scent work is that it will coagulate fairly quickly. You need to use an anti coagulant in it or dilute it with water...