Thread: Side by Side Tracks

Side by Side Tracks

Well folks it's getting close to that dreaded time of year again in the high country.. I am still wondering if I should try a set of those wss4 tracks on the old can am defender. Won't be used in a lot of snow, usually only gets to about 3 maybe 4 feet max towards my camp. I've had snowmachines forever and even used to race hillclimbs but now that i'm older and fatter and have an elderly father I want something that would get us roughly 40km's on fairly level ground to my camp. The argo with tracks looks to me like the best bet but that is way out of my price range.
    Can anyone chime in how they feel about these things? Good just for hard spring snow or,,?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Side by Side Tracks

Side by side on tracks is an impressive machine in snow. You would be happy with it. Especially on level ground
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." - Winston Churchill

Idon't have tarcks on my SxS but a friend and his dad each have newer mules with tracks and I can't believe the snow they go through. They float much better than a sled.

I definitely wouldn't buy a sled over tracks.

Sled all the way. I have both. For my SxS 40 km on tracks is about an hour and a half drive each way. Pretty tough on fuel and the snow comes into the cab and you’re sitting there getting wet.

Most of the time the snow is ok for tracks, but if you get stuck, it’s a project to get the machine out. The one snow I don’t trust is the late season snow that changes as the sun hits it and the day gets warmer.

Thanks guys for the help.
    I was almost thinking of renting one first from variable rentals in Kamloops. I think the tracked units are Honda pioneers.
    Helluva alot of money to pay out but a new skandic swt would probably be 3 times as much $$

I bought some Kimpex XTR tracks for my 700 Grizzly a few years ago. Also have owned Skandic WT and SWT machines.

I sold my last WT Skandic this spring as the tracks on the ATV are a better fit. A quick swap over twice a year and I'm good for all seasons, one less machine to maintain, and lower cost - $5k for the tracks vs $14k for a Skandic WT. The Grizzly on tracks will crawl around at lower speed through deep snow/uneven terrain better than a WT. Flotation is probably not quite as good as a SWT, but the pull from the front tracks with 4wd gets it through more obstacles. Deep powder snow is nothing for the ATV tracks, I've parked the machine where it's sinking maybe a foot in the powder, jumped off and sunk damn near up to my chest.

It will not tow a heavy load like a Skandic, not even close. Then again nothing will. But pulling a skimmer with a couple hundred lbs in it is nothing.

Most tracks are all season now, you can run them in dirt or rock, though if I do have to I take it slow so I dont chew up the lugs. Down side of tracks in the snow is they throw up a lot of spray at higher speed, it will literally cover the machine, so a set of super wide fender flares is a good idea.

Good info guys, appreciate it.
    I'm probably going to have to try them out, it's mostly flat going in to where my camp is but I do have to cross a lake once I make it there.
    Overflow scares me a lot, had a lot of bad experiences with that nasty stuff. Figure if I stick close to shore i'll be able to use the winch and rope if I do get bogged down.

Don't forget snowshoes x how many folk are in the unit.
    Never know when shtf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunzuki View Post
    Don't forget snowshoes x how many folk are in the unit.
    Never know when shtf.
    Very true zuki. I'm thinking i'll stash a snowmachine at about the half way point in case shtf