Thread: FMJ arrow shaft vs Carbon arrow shaft

Question FMJ arrow shaft vs Carbon arrow shaft

So it’s my first time hunting this year and obviously arrow choosing can be very crucial for a hunt but I’m very torn in choosing the Easton FMJ or a nice carbon arrow. Both have pros and cons but what do you guys think?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: FMJ arrow shaft vs Carbon arrow shaft

The most crucial thing you can do is be a competent archer.

I'm not expert, but I try to not get sucked into the vortex of marketing.

I keep it simple, I used one type of carbon arrow. I swap out my field tips for broadheads (same weight) and don't see a change in point of impact. I use re-branded easton arrows from a large retailer. They've killed deer dead.

I think it's really a preference choice and how much $$ you want to drop on them.

Here's a good article
    https://eastonhunting.com/the-differ...unting-arrows/

No matter how expensive of an arrow you use, your competency is most important factor.
    Last edited by kootenaihunter; 08-16-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    The most crucial thing you can do is be a competent archer.

I'm not expert, but I try to not get sucked into the vortex of marketing.

I keep it simple, I used one type of carbon arrow. I swap out my field tips for broadheads (same weight) and don't see a change in point of impact. I use re-branded easton arrows from a large retailer. They've killed deer dead.

I think it's really a preference choice and how much $$ you want to drop on them.

Here's a good article
    https://eastonhunting.com/the-differ...unting-arrows/

No matter how expensive of an arrow you use, your competency is most important factor.
    this is the best advise you need.
    If your planning on hunting archery and your not shooting Regularly you need to get on that. I recommend buying whatever your local shop carries because if you lose a bunch or need quick replacement arrows and yours are a custom mail order type you could be running into problems down the road.
    Practice as much as you can with your gear and practice longer shots then what you plan on shooting in real world hunting scenarios. I practice out to 70 yards. The longest shot I’ve ever taken was 35yards in a perfect scenario.
    My ave is under 20 and as close as 8 ft. Believe it or not the real close shots can be tricky too on small targets.

In addition to above.....

the FMJ is a carbon core with a layer of alum around it .. Basically a reversed ACC (Alum Carbon Composite) Eastons best selling Target arrow over the years that is alum core wrapped in Carbon

They are heavy and tough, withstand a lot of abuse. Great arrow that carries a lot of KE very well

the pure carbons you will find are lighter, therefore flatter trajectory there are some very quality and tough ones on the market as well.

depending upon your bow specs I would look at witch one is better for you personally, How your KE and momentum numbers stack up with each and of course how your bows sends them.

I have hunted with ACCs, FMJs ... Pure Alums, regular and micro-Diameter carbons Currently my setup is shooting some Micro Diameter Carbons
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    In addition to above.....

the FMJ is a carbon core with a layer of alum around it .. Basically a reversed ACC (Alum Carbon Composite) Eastons best selling Target arrow over the years that is alum core wrapped in Carbon

They are heavy and tough, withstand a lot of abuse. Great arrow that carries a lot of KE very well

the pure carbons you will find are lighter, therefore flatter trajectory there are some very quality and tough ones on the market as well.

depending upon your bow specs I would look at witch one is better for you personally, How your KE and momentum numbers stack up with each and of course how your bows sends them.

I have hunted with ACCs, FMJs ... Pure Alums, regular and micro-Diameter carbons Currently my setup is shooting some Micro Diameter Carbons
    This is a good answer, i'll use micro diameter for longer distance stuff but anything big or long dustsnce i'll use fmj they are crazy tough and pack a punch, just to much drop through my bow to go out crazy far.

fmj great moose arrow...