Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fires

Re: Fires

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    All I recall is, that last year, people preparing to hunt early Sept in the EK, had to pull out there gear because they
    had a full back country ban which was not lifted till late Sept.
    I have a bad feeling those same authorities will do it again.
    Plus, it all depends how long some of these fires keep burning.
    Big question is "when will the rains come"???...continuous rain!
    Also, last year, the white river fire happened, and now there is a "full vehicle ban" for "hunters".

So yes, great to have mother nature correct the bullshit that has been going on for 30 years,
    AND, she is not even close to being done yet....more fires to come, for many years ahead...IMO.

But, it looks like the end result for us resident hunters is...…….
    you can only "walk in", as more vehicle bans will be put into affect, if those same people who made those rules
    last year, still think "sightlines give hunters a big advantage"!!???
    I'm optimistic we've avoided a full bush closure in the EK. Cool evenings, cloud cover today, cooling trend in the forecast. Human caused fires are way down. Can't change the effect of lightning on short notice. Authorities are using area specific closures to support fire suppression activities and keep people off of roads that have a lot of traffic for fire suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    All I recall is, that last year, people preparing to hunt early Sept in the EK, had to pull out there gear because they had a full back country ban which was not lifted till late Sept.
    Wasn't the back country ban was lifted mid sept last yr? Sept 13 or 14 if IIRC......?? Due to school and the kids hockey season starting on the Saturday we couldn't get out on the opening day. But my son managed to get his elk on the 16th after we finished hockey.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 08-20-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I'm optimistic we've avoided a full bush closure in the EK. Cool evenings, cloud cover today, cooling trend in the forecast. Human caused fires are way down. Can't change the effect of lightning on short notice. Authorities are using area specific closures to support fire suppression activities and keep people off of roads that have a lot of traffic for fire suppression.
    I totally understand road closure so they can work on fire suppression...for sure!
    I can't recall if the White River fire was human related or natural???
    But I am pretty sure they now completely closed off that area to any sort of vehicle hunting.
    (they may have had an km mark where there was an existing vehicle restriction...but I think they expanded it last year
    to the entire "burn site"....if I understand it correctly?)

So, in that case, the restriction is "now" more then just for fire suppression.
    Same with no go for quads etc in 3-29, 3-30.
    Again, nothing to due with fire suppression, but, rather about now having "supposedly" too much sightlines
    for hunters, thus, in there opinion, too much hunter success potentially!!???

Keeping quads from going "off the roads" due to easier access due to fire, is something I can totally understand.
    They should have just made it mandatory to stay on "original raids"
    Just my thoughts about "what may come our way"...yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Wasn't the back country ban was lifted mid sept last yr? Sept 13 or 14 if IIRC......?? Due to school and the kids hockey season starting on the Saturday we couldn't get out on the opening day. But my son managed to get his elk on the 16th after we finished hockey.
    You could be right.
    I just remember we "altered plans" due to it, by going later, but it did lift earlier then expected.
    (I thought there was talk about Oct.1 being the "set date" at the time)

Sep 15 @ 13:00 hours.. killed my bull at 18:00 hrs
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Remember, this is an anti hunting government. They will use any excuse to shut down hunters and hunting access. Prepare to have to stay out of the bush, even if it does not make sense. Prepare for every spot with a fire to have multi year access bans
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bchunt View Post
    Remember, this is an anti hunting government. They will use any excuse to shut down hunters and hunting access. Prepare to have to stay out of the bush, even if it does not make sense. Prepare for every spot with a fire to have multi year access bans
    Unfortunately I believe you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    What specifically do you want to know? It's smokey there but so far it's business as usual for everything...
    Planning on flying into a lake from tatogga sept 14th with alpine lake just wondering what the conditions are like if they have been flying hunters in basically if we’re going to be hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Planning on flying into a lake from tatogga sept 14th with alpine lake just wondering what the conditions are like if they have been flying hunters in basically if we’re going to be hunting.
    Lots of air traffic from Iskut to the fires north of there. I haven't heard about any potential closures yet. It is certainly smokey right now but conditions change daily depending on where you are going. I think you will be ok....
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Thanks hope you guys get the rain in forecast this week.