Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "How to use bear spray", by the CBC

Re: "How to use bear spray", by the CBC

From the books I've read a firearm is still superior..hard to use spray in the wind, also spray is a deterent, there are examples of stubborn bears coming back for a 2nd mauling..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

The large canister bear 'sprays' I bought many years ago weren't actually a spray at all.
    It was a sizable stream that reached (if I can remember) about 15-20 feet. When each
    of 2 cans I bought expired I used them for self training. Wind really didn't effect their
    stream but being able to directly hit a rapidly approaching animal in the face was a challenge.
    The canisters that emit a spray put out a much larger potentially effective barrier but can't
    reach anywhere as far as the stream type. They are also much more effected by strong breezes.
    Either type I've personally determined will only work if a bear isn't in full charge...and that's
    providing you have time to un-holster and de-pin the canister. The best defense in my opinion
    would be to have both a 'defender shotgun' and a canister of spray.

If you don't watch that whole youtube video a post back you gotta watch at 10 minutes in when he has some video from the day when he got back to his truck...that guy is hard as ****!
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    If you don't watch that whole youtube video a post back you gotta watch at 10 minutes in when he has some video from the day when he got back to his truck...that guy is hard as ****!
    You said it ! Amazing will to survive !!
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 08-18-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Jeebus! I'll grant that shock played a role but he is definitely tough as nails. Ear hanging off...
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

If the person practices ALOT, I'd tell em to carry a 45-70 or 12 with slugs.

But lots of people in the bush either don't use guns, or are probably going to miss when a bear is charging. For those people, I'd encourage spray.

Both guns and spray have pro's and con's depending on who's hands it is in. Gotta play within your skill set and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    If the person practices ALOT, I'd tell em to carry a 45-70 or 12 with slugs.

But lots of people in the bush either don't use guns, or are probably going to miss when a bear is charging. For those people, I'd encourage spray.

Both guns and spray have pro's and con's depending on who's hands it is in. Gotta play within your skill set and hope for the best.
    This is the answer, I prefer bear spray personally, but use whatever you are best at.

Pepper is for seasoning AFTER the bear is on the grill.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thousands of people spend time in bear country and don,t own a firearm. They can carry bear spray.
    Seems like a good idea to educate people on how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    He forgot the most important step....ask the charging bruin to stop and wait while
    you get your can of spray out, take off the safety pin, and aim, holding it with 2 hands.
    no ya have to hold can sideways,,like thugs on movies hold pistols..bear got scary easier,,because that is new move..