Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "How to use bear spray", by the CBC

Re: "How to use bear spray", by the CBC

He forgot the most important step....ask the charging bruin to stop and wait while
    you get your can of spray out, take off the safety pin, and aim, holding it with 2 hands.
    And check to see which way the wind is blowing. I was told it's not very nice if it blows back in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    And check to see which way the wind is blowing. I was told it's not very nice if it blows back in your face.
    I did this to myself practising with my bear spray and it was very unpleasant... good way to understand the effectiveness of spray though lol. Funny thing is that I was a believer in spray until I sprayed myself, and now I carry both spray and a defender-style 12ga if I don't have my rifle... not convinced bear spray used according to instructions will stop a grizz that is truly intent on messing me up, honestly not sure it would even stop a crazy person with a knife. A valuable tool for sure and better than nothing, but if I feel like a deterrent will not be enough, I want other options.

Good video though, the "build a wall" technique is something I hadn't thought of, but makes sense.

I’ve sprayed 5 bears and for it to be affective, you need to hit them I’m the face from about 2 m. It works well then. Indirect hits don’t do a lot and wind direction is really important. Bear spray packs a whallop if you are human.

The guy in the video is a tough ass for sure!

If you are in the situation where you are actually going to have to use it get down on the ground curl up in a ball aim the damn thing between your armpit backwards are don’t pull the trigger till you can hear it’s breath or it’s actually hit you
    you need to be close for it to actually be really effective
    it’s a big griz i highly doubt it will actually stop it.
    Might even piss him off which is probably better so he kills you quicker ��

I was sprayed, knocked me down, pissed me off, went into attack mode and ended up taking a beating,
    don't think a bear will take a beating after spray, don't know about the ethics of putting a bullet into a halted bear after spray. Would hate to see a second charge, be hard to do anything with s**t in your pants

Here's my take on bear spray. I had one of the large cans, I can't recall the name brand but it was specifically chosen due to being of the highest capsaicin content. Counter assault if I recall correctly.

My little fully grown, 7 year old Pitt/whippet weighing in at an impressive 50lbs was the receiver of the spray.

This was the friendliest dog dog on the planet. He had never been in a fight in his life. A spoiled baby that slept in the bed and went everywhere with me every day.

We were at a friends house with one of those grumpy chows.

Well this chow came flying at me aggressively so my little dog went on the defence protecting me.

I coultnt get my dog to stop and he was really tearing this thing up.

I had had no choice but to run to my truck and grab the bear spray.

I sprayed my dog right in the face from about 2feet with a good burst.
    All he did was back up a step, shake his head and go right back in. I did this 3 times before recognizing the pattern.
    On the 4th spray, I swooped in and picked him up over my shoulder, carried him to the truck and tossed him in.
    He didn't have a scratch on him while the other dogs scalp was hanging off.

I used somewhere around 3/4 of this large can in his face.

Guess how how much faith I have in regards to spraying an enraged animal 10 times his size that fights and kills to survive daily. I'll give you a hint... I've never bought another can.

I have no doubt spray may push a curious or bluffing bear away but enraged... I'm far from convinced.