Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor Spotting Scope & $1000 glass - reviews and advice from users

Vortex Razor Spotting Scope & $1000 glass - reviews and advice from users

I'm ready to getting a spotting scope. I'm looking the Razor 65mm spotter. In this price point (about $1000-1300), is there any other glass that can beat it? Used not far from the question, so getting older Leica/Swaro/Meopta/Kowa/Zeiss is another option. I can not pay a new Swaro, nor use an observer enough to justify $ 2000-3000. For you who have Razor Monitor, are you happy with that?
    Last edited by Derekmson; 08-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex Razor Spotting Scope & $1000 glass - reviews and advice from users

I run the 65mm Razor and it works well for me. I've owned both the previous gen with the fine focus wheel and the current one with the body focus like the Swarovski. Also have owned the 11-33x50 Razor and 20-60x85 as well. I'm pretty happy with the current 65mm as it allows me to see 7mm (.284") bullet holes in brown cardboard @ 600 yards in no mirage conditions
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I’ve got the 11-33 x 50mm and it’s great. The 65mm should be even better and brighter. Don’t let the anti-Vortex crowd sway you, it’s great glass at a decent price.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

if had a few spotters in the last year, including an older swaro, after tryin a few options i’d say if you want the very best you will have to spend to be in the top 3. But the vortex razor 65 which i currently use is probably the best bang for your buck. when i compared the vortex to swaro the swaro was definatly a bit better. i had an older swaro which was heavier and was a larger body which didn’t pack as compact into my pack. I came to the conclusion that the smaller lighter razor 65 was more than fine for me the average joe hunter who needs a quality spotter for a variety of different hunts. if sheep hunting is your game and you think you will spend the next 10 years chasing rams then i would say save up and buy one of the top 3. I feel a guy has to be honest with himself and determine if he is gonna spend the big bucks on the big glass is he going to use it enough to justify it. the razor will do just fine. i know of a few guys that have taken a few nice rams with less quality glass than the razor, lol
    Last edited by ditch donkey; 08-15-2018 at 09:25 AM.

I just got a Kowa 553 for ~$2k and it's pretty slick. Razor is ~$1700 - not much difference and I preferred the smaller form factor for quality when I saw a few reviews singing the praises of the Kowa.

3rd year I've had my 65mm razor, I like it a lot. it'll be coming into the mountains for my goat hunt this year, and if it rolls down the hill and breaks... free warranty :P but all aside its a good investment

thanks SaintSix for the opinion

I’m curious as to what you’re hunting for? If it’s sheep and counting rings and such is important, spend the highest amount on the best glass u can afford. But if it’s for moose and elk for example, they are easier to count points etc
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

So I'm a big 3 user.... I've got optics from all of them. My spotter is a Swarovski, and its pretty nice glass (not spectacular - for my eyes both Zeiss and Leica blow it out of the water).

That said, a buddy bought a Razor for last season, the 65mm version. At last light, counting tines on a caribou at 1000+ yards, the Razor with the fine focus knob was just a hair sharper and clearer. Saved us a hard run through the brush to get a closer look. While I AM a Vortex snob, I will say that you can do a LOT worse for the money on a spotter.

My biggest complaint (my only complaint) is the lack of a fine focus knob on the Swarovski. When your hands are cold and the wind is blowing, a secondary adjustment feature is worth its weight in gold to me.

I have the 65mm razor with the fine focus. two years now. It is a fine spotter for the price.
    very clear and excellent edge to edge clarity. My only gripe is that it becomes noticeably dimmer when on 48x power .... but i've looked through a Swaro at max power and it also was not very bright. I think that's just part of the deal .... the exit pupil becomes so small that loss of light is inevitable.

If it's on a stable tripod, and the heat mirage is low, then i have no complaints looking through it .... it works very well for me.

I suspect i will hang on to it for quite some time.

When i bought it wholesale was clearing them out for the new models so i think i only paid $1200 ... which is a steal compared to the new ones for $1700.