Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

Re: What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

oh and the 6 speed ( Low plus 5 ) are great, low is useless unless on a good hill or towing but nice to have.
    if the clutch makes noise, dont stress too much as they are rattley to begin with.
    the slave/master assemblies come pre-bled and fail once a year if you have an upgraded clutch

What's that joke- "if I wanted a power stroke Id call your mom" lol

My wife's grandfather has 7.3L and 300,000km. He is a mechanic. The truck does a lot of sitting but when it moves it's pulling a car trailer or fifth wheel motor home. I don't think he's had any problems, he's the type that would tell everyone if he did

Personally I’d take a Cummins but if had to be a blue oval oil burner, the 7.3 would be the one.

check the oil pan. They are known to rust and leak and then you have to pull the motor to replace it

Lot of guys do it by lifting the engine in the truck, a few videos on YouTube.

If you do buy it, replace the upper rad hose to the dual alternator style aka ambulance package

keep a spare cam position sensor in the glove box. if it hasn't been replaced already, you will need to... 10 minute roadside fix...

fuelbowl leak can be easily diy'ed with available gasket kits...

only frustrating issue I had was with the glow plugs - eventually the coil(s)? need to be replaced...? it's been a few years since I sold it, so can't recall the fix, but it was really hard to start in cold weather and would take 20 minutes to get up to operating temp - lots of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Massive turning radius as mentioned above and a real challenge to find parking if you need to go into the big city.

Other than that - trouble free for almost 500K. Only sold it because I no longer needed a tow vehicle that size and downsized to a 150.

Excellent trucks / motor if you look after them. They're also fairly easy to do minor repairs your self; lots of mechanical stuff that doesn't require a 5 digit scanner etc....
    My dad's last truck was a 96 F350 7.3 5sp. The dam thing had near 700,000km on it and was going strong. The truck saw a lot of abuse, we tow a 30ft goose neck loaded with timbers, glue lams, SIP's etc daily. The truck was a tank. He misses it.
    ig: mmckimmi

My 2000 f 350 7.3 6 speed manual. Bought it new and was my primary work truck in bush for 5 years. Drove it hard, hauled, towed etc. Gave it to my dad as a firewood truck with 510 000+ km on it. Not a straight body panel on it but still runs great

I had a 94 7.3 years ago, cost me nothing but money.

".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"