Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

Re: What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

Best engine ever built in my opinion. I own a 2000 F-250 Lariat, only 179,000 km's on it should be the last truck i ever own
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Awesome thanks for the input folks.....

Best ever!!! In some years the Glo plug wires in valve cover gasket can be a problem for some but a really great engine

My opinion ? Ahhhh can't afford one Hahahahahahahahahaha coodn't afford the wheel nut Hahahahahahahahahaha
    Jeldo the Weldo Rocka Feldo -- I need Go Fund Me bad like Hahahahahahaha
    Last edited by Jelvis; 08-15-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: I Got Friends in Low Places

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxtech View Post
    Probably the most reliable Ford you’re going to find. But it’s still a Ford.
    Have to agree with this statement. All trucks have their issues google will show you most complaints people have.

Biggest issue with owning a Ford is the pink panties they come with can’t be comfortable lol

A good friend of mine is a die hard powerstrokes guy. He buys and sell them weekly. His current truck is a 13 superduty fully loaded ( one step below kingranch ) with 570k on it. He's a hd mechanic and swears that powerstrokes can run forever if you put a little work into them.

Good motors. Mine has almost 400,000 on it. It's an 01 f350 with a 6 speed and a manual tcase shifter. Bought it at 308xxx. I did a clutch, and had to so the pilot shaft sleeve because the bearing was gone and had chewed the pilot shaft up some.
    I just did glowplugs and the under valve cover harness. Easy job, 4 very casual hours work including repairing the harness where the wire housing was crumbling. I've also done the front end, unit bearings, ball joints, and inner oil seals. Also did a waterpump. All wear items that can be expected during the life of a vehicle.
    It does eat tires pretty quickly, but it's a full size, I load it with tools and materials, and drive a lot.
    Early 99 trucks can have older rear ends occasionally, using up old stock I guess? The early SRW f350s have a Dana50 front end, not a 60, you can check the axle tag, it's a bit blurry when the switch to a 60 happened.
    The headlights suck, but they're easy to upgrade to later model ones.
    I am very, very hard on vehicles, and this truck has taken everything I've thrown at it. A friend who uses and abuses his trucks similarly has destroyed a Chevy front end full of expensive Icon parts...he swapped in a superduty front end. No further issues. He likes his duramax though.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

All very good info thanks guys.

Good motor but old technology, there are far better motors out there now, hell even mine is a one ton 2016 with 37"tires and 6" Lift and I get 14.4km's / 100kms on the highway, not going to say what brand as not trying to switch the main topic...

But in the end, for that money it's a good deal as long as it's healthy for real!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

more than likely needs up pipes, go bellowed.
    a wicked wheel makes a huge difference, especially towing
    The fuel bowl heater is a known issue but very simple fix.
    5w-40 synthetic will make a world of difference in cold starts ( injectors are oil actuated)
    the auto 4wd most likely doesn't engage the hubs automatically, but the manuals will. The transfer case will shift fine. just like old school
    headlights buckets suck, go to a 05-07 front end and good lights and never look back - 300 to 400 in parts and huge pay off. or be cheap and put just the 05-07 buckets in but that looks cheap im my opinion
    if the interior is rough, new upgraded lariat interiors can be put in in under 2 hours for about 500 bucks: seats, console door panels etc.
    they ride like a truck, leaf springs all around. its not coils, so they dont turn worth a darn. get used to it

any questions feel free to PM, they are solid reliable trucks that will last a long time if you are nice to them. Ive had mine all over BC, Yukon and the island and love it.