Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

I have a friend of a friend who may sell me his 99' F350 with the 7.3 deisel, also a 5 speed... haven't looked at it yet, but it has 400,000 + Kms on it, but the turbo was redone and new brakes and rotors....is it true that these trucks will go to a million clicks like the Dodge Cummins? Heavy motor so do the front end generally wear out quicker?? Am I looking at high maintenance costs at that mileage?? He's asking $4500.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's your opinion of the Ford 7.3 diesel???

Probably the most reliable Ford you’re going to find. But it’s still a Ford.

They are solid trucks, but given the age and mileage, the condition of an individual truck could vary widely. I would be prepared to give it a once over and correct a few issues, as at that age and mileage, there is likely to be a few things needing attention to keep it in good shape.

If in good mechanical and physical shape, $4500 is a good price, and well worth buying if you need a diesel pickup.

It's a Ford. Expect problems
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." - Winston Churchill

Excellent mileage & plenty of power. I would highly recommend it!
    Never had a problem with the engine.
    But check the serpentine belt regularly. The year before I got the 2003 6.0 Ford F350 the belt partially broke & severed the tranny cooling connector destroying the tranny after a short drive & also somehow damaging the starter.

My 7.3 diesel see POST # 373
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...mansen+hunting

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I own a ‘99 f350. Bought it new. Turned 265k km the other day. It’s been on synthetic oil since the warranty elapsed. Biggest problem was when the power steering pump failed. That affects a lot of things. I recently rebuilt the front end and I have a few little things to attend to. Mine is an auto and a trailer haulen special. There hasn’t been a dodge or gm that I can’t tow backwards yet although it hasn’t been tested as none have accepted the challenge yet.
    With the mileage you report there may be a few issues pending. Check to make sure all the connections on the fuel water separator are connected. If there are any disconnected you wantto know why. And while you’re at it get a pan under the drain and drain some fuel off. Preferably into a container so you can inspect the fuel.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I don't know about a million kms, but they're definitely a good truck and engine. It's almost 20 years old and high mileage in my books. Definitely the best diesel ford has ever had.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    There hasn’t been a Dodge or GM that I can’t tow backwards yet although it hasn’t been tested as none have accepted the challenge yet.
    Interesting statement . . . . .

If you dont buy it can you please pass along the info

I've had 4. My current is an 02 f350 6 speed and I love it. 465kms and still

If you have any question about them PM Me.