Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inreach explorer.

inreach explorer.

anybody have this device in kamloops?
    pretty sure i am going to buy one but would like to look at the maps first...i tried one in store but they have to activate and wouldnt for me to see the maps.
    anybody have a active one i could see?

thinking of a few times needed search and rescue and had to drive to cell service...
    1.broken neck on victim of accident at port douglas.
    2.cut femal artery when fishing on guy whos knife slipped through sheath.
    3.guy jumped off house boat onto house boat prop resulting in compound injurys to both legs and femual cut...

all three lived do to fast first aid and me being there...

also thinking off the time i kicked the window out of my truck down a icy cliff with no reception...if i was more hurt i would not have gotyen out and froze before found.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: inreach explorer.

I am not in Kamloops BUT I find that one of the shortfalls of the INREACH is the map. The scale can't be changed so the view presented is pretty large scale (meaning it's too close for map navigation.

I admit the INREACH is still new to me and I am learning but from what I have found, the map scale cannot be changed. (Please correct me if I am wrong...)
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Hey WWD,

I bought my InReach Expl. at London Drugs, I have the SE model without Maps as I already have GPS's. I really like the InReach, I had a SPOT Messenger before, the InReach works better for me, & able to have 2 way communication. Prices seems to be about the same but London Drugs Kamloops is where I bought mine last year.

Bob

I JUST bought the inreach explorer+ 2 days ago. As for maps, you can zoom in and out using the "-" & "+" buttons. It is a bit of a hybrid between a traditional topo map and a terrain map. I live in Tsawwassen, so not near any logging roads to give a screen shot, but let me know if I can help.

I bought my InReach strictly for the safety factor. Use a handheld GPS for maps and navigation. InReach needs power to recharge, in other words, you can't just change the batteries. So, if you use the InReach as a GPS, and run the power down, it won't be much help if you get into trouble and need to contact someone for assistance.

https://youtu.be/eqqkiMXW8K4

Pair with your phone for use with better enhanced mapping

The inreach is a little bit better if u Bluetooth it to your phone. Otherwise the maps are terrible. As for charging the battery, I bring a little pocket juice from Costco. It will charge my phone at least three times.

I have the garmin one. Has anybody compared the delorme to the garmin?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I'm wondering how you have the luck of being around all of these unfortunate accidents?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

so far great replys guys...this is what i am looking for..

bustercluck we can start another thread on carnage but lets keep this one on devices.

Get it ! As Rino said, sync your inReach with your phone. I don't have the sqavvy to explain it to you (my kids set it up ), but you can access maps , google earth etc even when you are out of cell range. You can do the google Earth with the Garmin Earthmate app on your iPhone.