Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The 400 yard curse, solo stone sheep hunt

Re: The 400 yard curse, solo stone sheep hunt

One more time, I rolled behind the rock I was sitting by, just staring down into the bottom of ram basin down me, the rams were all headed up, my hunt was over. I sat for about 5 minutes, twiddling my thumbs, just reflecting on things.
    My mind was made up, it’s time to head home, Iv got pictures, as said before, I was successful, more successful then ever before anyway.
    I rolled over to my knees, ready to shoulder my soaking wet pack, when I happen to look up, probably for the last time, I was to the point where, I almost didn’t even want to look anymore.
    But, that greater power, grabbed me by the ears and turned my head to those cliffs it seemed, It was like the sheep gods said, “this man has paid his dues”, that middle Ram, when I turned around, that last time, was on a march, heading, down hill!! I kinda thought to myself, man, this is like kicking me while I’m down.
    But, once again, I drop to prone and over my kifaru pack. I already had the bottom of the cliff figured to be about 350 yards, possibly 375, but steep uphill. I took my safety off and waited, the middle Ram went out of sight, but was headed down hill. It took him a minute or so to appear again, but this time, it was perfect. I could see his front half on the rockslide above, his back end still behind the cliff wall. 1....2.... he takes a slip and stumbles in the loose rock, and into full view in my z3. I knew I would be dropping roughly 16’ish inches, and a very steep up hill shot, the wind was howling, but in no constant direction, I felt at this range, it wasn’t enough that it would effect the shot at all.

I rested the crosshairs a hair below his back, directly in the middle of his lung area, the ram wasn’t even looking in my direction, but I could tell he was ready to make a break for it.

The T3 Swede didn’t make a sound, honestly, I hardly felt that yodave spring even. The 140 grain 6.5 accubond hit exactly where I wanted it too, double lung, quartering slightly away. The ram spun and bolted, running straight down hill towards me, I reloaded and steadied, I knew he was hit good, but, he was still on his feet. He came to a stop about 150 yards above me, standing on a rock ledge, overlooking blow, wondering what bit him. I placed the cross hairs in the centre of his chest and squeezed again. The ram fell out of my scope, off the rock ledge and started to tumble, out of sight.

Now, there’s not really any way to put into words the things that were going through my mind right about now. I watched these rams for a week, I’m positive he’s above the bridge, but without another good educated opinion, I was at a loss for thoughts, words, everything. But in all seriousness, I had just killed my first ram, by myself.

I just killed a ******* RAM!!!! That was the next message that my mom got, Sent, 11:54 am.
    I did txt my dad too of course, but I knew he would be tied up with work, so I looked at my mother to share my immediate experience with.
    I literally fell to my knees in disbelief, I dropped my phone, my rifle, and I sobbed.

As my dad would put it,

“Those those who understand, it doesn’t need to be explained

Those who need an explanation, will never understand”

Not because I had just taken a life, Iv never eaten sheep meat, Iv only heard how good it is, I was excited to finally get to try it, I am a hunter.
    What hit me hard, was I had finally accomplished. 90+ days over the past 9 sheep hunts has taken me to some unreal places, but nothing as beautiful as this wet cold windy place, right here, right now. Another hard hitter, was my other partner wasn’t with me, what I would have given for my dad to be there, there wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t miss his presents.

There was no way I was going to get off my solid rock ledge I was on, the way I was shaking. I was wet, I was cold, snot dripping out the nose kind of cold, and the excitement, of what had just unfolded, I was literally shaking uncontrollably. I may get flack about the captains, but damnit, I lit another one! The youngest ram slowly came down the rock slide, searching for his partner. I never did see the big ram again, I did peek up periodically throughout the unfolding, I still think he would have been my target ram, given the opportunity. He was a wise ram, that is for sure. I really hope he gets to live another winter. Next year Dad, it’s your turn!!

After a 15 minute sit, 12:15’ish, I think I have my nerves under control enough to make it over to my ram. I came in below him, about 50’. I couldn’t see his head, I knew he was full curl, but this 50’ climb, which seemed like it took an hour, was the longest slowest climb of my life. I’m not a praying person, but I was sure asking for someone’s help right now, I reached up from below him and grabbed a front leg and pulled him over, his long thin lambtip came wheeling around to my feet, seeing that tip an inch+ above his bridge, was the world off my shoulders, this pack out I was about to endure, had nothing on the weight of what I was just packing. A bit bloody from the wetness and fall, but the most beautiful stone ram I have ever laid eyes on. He wasn’t huge, but he was mine!!

He was in some pretty steep loose boulderish rock, so I drug him down hill a little ways before cleaning him up from a nearby snow patch (which, will be my life saviour in about a hour), the best I could for a few photos. I didn’t have my tripod along, and the rain and wind were constant. Fog was starting to cover the tops of the cliffs, my dog was somewhere down below me out of sight, I had no time to waste.

I snapped a few photos and dug right in. I caped him from the back, taking the hide for a shoulder mount. I never realized what a small animal these sheep are. I took the bad front shoulder first, it was a lot more messed up then what I was expecting from the 140 grain 6.5 accubond. I trimmed off all the good stuff I could salvage from it. All 3 other quarters, I tag bagged garbage bagged and loaded in the DT1.

the cliffs up above

Now, the chest shot. It was pretty steep up hill, the bullet passed through the boiler room, but did hit the guts a bit (something I Hadn’t really even thought about yet). I took out one back strap, and started on the other side. I found my second bullet just under the hide in his back, pretty far back...I’m pretty careful about saving meat, especially back strap, so I was “face in there” like a surgeon, widdling the “back end” of the back straPOOOOOFFFFF!!!! in my frickin face! I was soaked!, slimed! I was a green gross mess! Instantly I lost my last nights dinner, I thought I was going to die, seriously! I choked puked and gagged my way about 100’ up the rock slide to that snow patch from earlier. I rubbed my face raw with those hard ice crystals, fortunate for me, I must have had my eyes closed when it blew. After catching my breath and bearings, I turn and look down at my ram, he looks half the size now.....

Back down I go, taking a big mitt full of snow with me to wash off anything that got sprayed. Another 30 minutes, and I had the rest of the back strap, neck meat, the good rib meat, head and cape off and in my pack. I was anxious to go find my dog down below, I didn’t get far from the kill sight when I seen Bean dog down below, right close to where I left her.
    She was happy to see me, but wasn’t to sure about what was in my pack. When I i I got back down to where I had left her, it had taken me about a hour to get down. I had no poles, and on the wet loose rock, I had to use my rifle as my pole, it’s got some character now.

Finally on some solid ground, I dropped the pack and set up the tripod for a couple pics with my dog. I knew I had a steep grass hill ahead of me to get down, the rain was still coming down steadily, I wanted to get that out of our way, after that, it would be smooth sailing back to the tent.

We made some good time actually, making into camp about 6pm. I took no time to rest, I needed to get this meat and cape dealt with, everything was soaked. I set up my Rab siltarp and got to work deboning the 3 quarters and setting the other meat bags out to dry.

By about 11:30pm I was all finished up, everything deboned and bagged, cape washed fleshed and salted, lower jaw removed and incisor teeth extracted, I was wiped, I hadn’t eaten a thing all day, not even a block shot, nothin. But, I really wasn’t hungry, guess I was just, basically, drained. I did manage a stiff hot (overproof) rum before bed tho, I felt I owed it to both the ram and I, make that the 3 of us, there’s no way I could have done all this without my dog.

Awesome story man!!! Congrats on a great ram

I am so happy I get to be the first to comment - absolutely sensational and I know exactly how you were feeling. Words can't describe the feeling of the work and the result.

For falling asleep at midnight, and the day I had the day before, I thought I’d sleep later then 6 am. Today was hike out day. It took me 3 camps to get here, but I never did travel to far between camps. I was shooting to be out in a long day.

By 9 am bean dog and I were loaded up, heading out heavy. This was the heaviest pack my dog has handled. Not by a lot, but certainly heavier. When it comes to her pack, she’s like a good horse, she walks over, dips her head down, and often, will lift her own leg for the leg hole in the harness. But when I placed the bags on here, she give me one of her “wtf man” looks. She’s a champ.

We had a long gradual up hill pull to get back up to where we originally spotted the rams from, stopping at the little puddle from earlier in the trip.but we made good time, when we hit that little saddle, it was all downhill from here. As soon as we hit the downhill, my legs took over my mind, and just went by themselves.

I was pretty amazed to find our stashed food still all intact, I though for sure the wolverine would have found it. We stopped for a coffee break, loaded up the extras and were back on the trail. One thing I was not at all looking forward too, was the creek crossings. I didn’t count them going in, but I did coming out, 13 to be exact, in the last 1.5km of the trail. I probably ended up doing about a km in my cheap $10 can tire crocks, the last 5-6 crossings were a bit deep for loaded down bean, its not the first time iv hauled my tired dogs gear before, and certainly not the last. But soon enough, I had enough. On with the hanwags, nose down ass up on a mission march.

That old truck seat was a welcoming sight. I had the berkley fish scale in the truck, so gave our packs a look. Mine came in at 98 lbs, bean dog packed out 17lbs of sheep meat. 10.11km on the Gaia gps from my last camp that looked into ram basin to the truck, and made it just under 6 hours.

Thanks for checkin it out HBC, im still waiting on the inspector, I think my ram is 7 years old, possibly 8, but does make the full curl. Hes 35" on one side, 35.5" on the other for those curious. Im a happy hunter, and proud of this ram. And that meat!! I think its better then mountain goat even haha, delicious!!

Cheers, and good luck to anyone heading out there, never give up!

A few gear reviews.

#1 is more a shout out, to Bell 2!!

I wasn’t going to add this, but good service deserves to be spread. Heading up, it was hot!! Felt like in the 30’s. When I got to bell 2, I was starving. With all my gear in the truck, I hate leaving it out of sight, even with my big mean ferocious cuddle licking dog in it.
    I left my truck running with the AC on, made a mad dash inside to order a hamburger, I told the fellow at the counter that I was kinda in a hurry as my dog was in the running truck with the AC on. Without a thought, he kindly said “oh heck bring her on in if she’s friendly!”, that man made my day, and bean dogs. Great food and great service at bell 2!!

The Sitka timberline pant!! I just purchased these from Omineca sports days before the hunt. I always have 2 pairs of pants on a back pack hunt, I lived in these timberlines, my other pants were just extra weight lol, and their tough!! I don’t know why I didn’t get them years ago.

My dogs pack, Iv been getting a lot of questions. It’s the palisades pack made by a company called ruffwear. This is her third sheep hunt with it, plus a goat hunt, plus countless miles around home. The pack has given no reason to look at anything else. The water bladders and pockets are perfect, keeps my dog cooler on hot days, and the removable bags, now that we’ve used them, are a must. The adjustability of the harness, it’s easy to get a perfect fit. If your looking for a dog pack, buy with confidence.

The bad!

Rab sil tarp 2.
    It’s a good wind or sun block, it’s light and packs real small, but if it rains, you will get wet. This is my third season with this tarp, no idea why I keep packing it.

Black diamond FLZ. I bought 2 sets of these before last season, a set for me and a set for Dad. Last seasons sheep hunt, one of dads poles broke, it looked like the glue had come apart that held the plastic pieces inside the pole, making it useless and unable to lock together. This hunt, I had a pole do the exact same thing. I could sure tell I was missing my fourth leg on the hike out.

Thank you for sharing. I’m not getting to go north this year and reading your story and AndrewH’s sure make me feel like I was on the trip.

Man!! I am rootin for ya! Crazy highs and lows yer goin through!!

I drew a map, kinda helps explain harvest day.
    The green dot, is where the rams were bedded that morning, and fed into the creek, the blue is the route I took in chase, where the blue and green cross up top, is where I shot my ram.

some randoms

the cliffs the rams were in

Bean dog coming out heavy

Thanks for taking the time to post your story absolutely awesome.

Bean, just doing what she does best, my side arm.

Hike out day, ram basin is smoked right in. Iv waited a long time to hold a set of these!