Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 400 yard curse, solo stone sheep hunt

Re: The 400 yard curse, solo stone sheep hunt

Great hunt....Great stamina..Great companion...Great result....It doesn't get any better..Thanks for sharing...For all those first time sheep hunters there is lots to be learned from this story..It's about setting out on a journey and trying your best then one day hopefully success..Thanks Decker 9......Dennis

Epic is a word that is far too often overused, but it fits here nicely! Your story, photos... Truly EPIC! I very much enjoyed reading that, and thank you for sharing! Congrats to you as well on your accomplishment, mental as much as physical, I dare say.
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    I hade a vague memory of creek crossings from the last time I had come here, but before, I had one of those seats on 4 wheels, sure helped with this issue. For what seemed like miles, go go go stop, crocks, go go go stop, crocks, soon I just said screw it, and hiked with my fine fitting (NOT) $10 can tire crocks through the last few hundred yards. Finally, we found a spot that looked like a good way to get above treeline, we were pushing pretty late by now, there was water near by so, this is where we will stay. Everything I was wearing was soaked, but not from rain, without the creek crossings, it woulda been one hot ugly day.

I packed up 2-3 days of each of our food, a can of jet boil fuel and half my salt, found a sturdy spruce tree and tied it up high, incase we didn’t see anything where we were going, we could head up a different direction after we came back.

I find a fire is the best remedy for loneliness and solitude. Being the first night, of what could turn into 8-9+ days, had me anxious. A lot goes through a persons mind, and mine was wondering. Bean dog and I sat with a little stick fire, drank a hot rum and rolled a drum (a smoking sheep hunters comfort cig, goes hand in hand with a hot overproof rum in a orange tea and sugar). I looked over some very blurry Gaia gps maps, as I had downloaded nothing for this area. My inreach app had a topi map I finally realized, which helped a bit later on.

In years past, Iv been kind enough to let bean sleep in the tent with me. Being solo this time, I opted to leave her under the vestibule, incase of bear trouble. She wasn’t a happy camper our first night.

August 31st morning

Camp was quickly packed and we were headed uphill. The going was a lot easier then I anticipated. Bean dog is an amazing packer. She knows where her bags are, where she can go, where she can’t. We’v been in situations before where Iv had to through her bags overtop of mine, because the buck brush or shintangle was to thick for her to get through. I try to avoid these areas, even if it means taking the long way around. At one of the last trickling creeks we crossed, just before leaving the timber, we sat and took a break. Normally, if I’m sitting, I have a camera in hand, either my phone or my canon.
    I don’t know what I was doing or thinking about, but I caught movement, about 40-50 yards away, something small, coming down hill right at me, and pretty fast!! Automatically, I think “GRIZZlY CUB”, Bean laying by my feet, she couldn’t see as high as I could. Being I use the kifaru gun bearer, I didn’t have to look at what I was doing. In one fast motion, I unbuckled my rifle, fell to my knee and started to take an aim, all while starting to holler “HEY BEAR”, which got Beans attention, well, at that same second, that damn wolverine came charging (just on his hop, but a fast hop) from a little dip that took him out of my view for a sec, all 3 of us locked eyes as the wolverine did a 90 degree turn mid hop and bailed down through the thick balsam timber, it all happening in about 2-3 seconds, and 20’ in front of us, Bean looked at me with one of her WTF sideways google eyed looks, for as much as it got the Adrenalin going, it was a pretty cool experience. Even tho I wish I had my camera in hand, I’m glad my instinct did what it did. My only worry now, is that little ******* going to find my stash!!

By late morning we broke out above the bush, the sun was still behind the mountain, which made hiking in the shade a lot nicer. We didn’t go much further until we dumped our gear and called it camp, for now. It was only about a 500’ climb to be able to see over the hill we were on. We needed water, I knew there was a small puddle just over the hill from me from looking at google years previous. By the time we got down to the water, the temp had hit mid 20’s I bet. I can’t swim, but it sure felt good to scrub up in a cold puddle on a day like that. Bean on the other hand, you’d think she was a water dog.

Love the scenery! Great story so far man!

Congratulations on a great ram,solo to boot!! Thanks for sharing your adventure and awesome photos.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Thank you for your well presented sheep hunt, great job. Congratulations !

Epic friggen thread!!! What an awesome hunter and hunting partner! Congrats, I wanna do that so bad!

Very impressive Decker! What a great hunt and an awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to take us along.

Wow what a awesome story and hunt and to take a beautifull ram in such a beautifull place. I really enjoyed reading it. And wonderfull pictures congradulations to you and to Bean dog for sticking it out with you.
    Maybe next year your dad can come along.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Very proud of you , awesome determination. Great hunt.

Great share
    Great accomplishment
    You’ll look at that ram with pride, only your dog understands.
    thanks for taking us along
    Fantastic Ram
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”