Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on a bag. Mystery ranch or exo?

Question What are your thoughts on a bag. Mystery ranch or exo?

Been eyeing up the Exo K2 5500 and read only great things. But have heard really good things about the Mystery Ranch metcalf. What do you use? Would like to hear your thoughts on bags as I gear up for my first hunting season! Thank you for taking your time in reading this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What are your thoughts on a bag. Mystery ranch or exo?

I use Kifaru. Both bags you have listed have great reputations and a great following! I think what you'll find is packs are similar to boots, in that a large part is personal fit and preference. Some would like the Exo more, some would like the MR more. If you can find someone local to try on a few with weight, that would be a great place to start! Many companies allow for a 30 day return policy that gives you a chance to put some weight in there and give it a run.

I like the versatility of the exo to switch the 2000 bag with 5500 bag on the frame on the fly. Roll up the 2000 bag and pack it in the 5500, get to spike camp location then simply remove the 5500 and attach the 2000. Excellent pack overall.

really enjoying my exo 5500. it fits me great and when i load it up with a sand bag for hikes its still very comfy

A happy Exo user here, this will be my third hunting season using it. The Metcalf is a great pack too, you really can`t go too wrong with any high end pack. I like the waist pockets on the Exo
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Never used exo, but I've had a few high end packs. MR fit me best, just personal preference. I liked the bags and lighter weight of the kifaru.
    Last edited by Hadda; 08-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.

I've used a Metcalf for the past three years. I like it. It carries weight very well, frame fits well. My only complaint- not enough compartments. My next pack will have more compartments. Just easier to find things quickly that way. MR makes a Plinter which has more compartments.

I would take a look at Alps Outdoorz as well. I have the Commander and Traverse X and really enjoy both. Commander frame can store a lot of stuff for longer wood stints and for the day pack use the Traverse X. Love the Rifle and bow holder slings on both and have used the feature quite a bit! Take a look may be an inexpensive option that has gone fairly under the radar in this topic.

Stone Glacier is high on my list.

But all these bags are great. I am sure no matter what you buy, it'll do the job!

Neither...Bullpack.

Edit: I bought it years ago. Last winter I wanted to update the shoulder straps. I called, and the owner answered the phone.
    When in doubt, just pin it.