Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservation Officers: What is their authority to conduct searches?

Re: Conservation Officers: What is their authority to conduct searches?

I have several trail cams I check on a regular basis. In my area, I have 3 cougars and a large sow bear with 3 cubs plus probably a 2 year old bear that I have pictures of. I would like to know what would happen if I carried my gun now for”protection “ if any of these animals charged me while checking these trail cams. Would C/O’s nail me for killing an animal out of season?
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodbath View Post
    I have several trail cams I check on a regular basis. In my area, I have 3 cougars and a large sow bear with 3 cubs plus probably a 2 year old bear that I have pictures of. I would like to know what would happen if I carried my gun now for”protection “ if any of these animals charged me while checking these trail cams. Would C/O’s nail me for killing an animal out of season?
    Thoughts?
    Not really sure what your post has to do with this thread, but since you've asked the question...

If your highly unlikely scenario takes place, my thought is.....

"Don't tell the CO your HBC username".

When the lights came on the investigation started. That's my guess. Do you recall a few years ago just out of Prince George, A cop saw a vehicle come onto the highway from a logging road. He suspected the driver of poaching so pulled him over. He called for a CO who went up the road expecting to find a carcass. Well they found a body and it was a young girl he had murdered. The name escapes me but she was legally blind if I recall. had he not been stopped he might have gotten away with murder. just sayin....

It's not like a cop can walk up to your car and just open the door and start looking through it. They have to have permission or probable cause. I would have thought any peace officer would have the same basic guidelines.

It all depends on the officers ability to articulate where you could be storing wildlife or fish. Which when you think about it, can be just about anywhere in your vehicle, camp or in your personal gear ie: pack. All depends on the totality if the circumstances. Where you are....what season it is.....what kind of game in the area etc etc. If during the course of their search for say, a salmon.....they find drugs in your backpack, you will then be arrested for drugs and the search broadens. They’re not the gestapo, but if you give them reason to search they will. I’m my opinion they should. Doesn’t bother me if someone wants to rifle through my 10 day old sheep gaunch. I highly advise against it however!

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    Ive been stopped and casually searched while not hunting or fishing a couple times. Where does their power to search end, after their initial grounds for the search based on wildlife is satisfied? Like I assume they can't start looking for wildlife, but then broaden the scope to looking for anything and everything else? Or can they?

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Staal View Post
    It all depends on the officers ability to articulate where you could be storing wildlife or fish. Which when you think about it, can be just about anywhere in your vehicle, camp or in your personal gear ie: pack. All depends on the totality if the circumstances. Where you are....what season it is.....what kind of game in the area etc etc. If during the course of their search for say, a salmon.....they find drugs in your backpack, you will then be arrested for drugs and the search broadens. They’re not the gestapo, but if you give them reason to search they will. I’m my opinion they should. Doesn’t bother me if someone wants to rifle through my 10 day old sheep gaunch. I highly advise against it however!
    yeah, that makes sense I guess. All my interactions with CO's have been really proffesional and relatively painless. I wouldn't be overly concerned about a quick reasonably specific search.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    It's not like a cop can walk up to your car and just open the door and start looking through it. They have to have permission or probable cause. I would have thought any peace officer would have the same basic guidelines.
    Their authority doesn’t come from who they are, it comes from what Act they are enforcing. A cop can’t pull you over under the Controlled Drugs and Subtance Act but he sure can pull you over under the Motor Vehicle Act.

Just a thought. If you're pulled over and the officer has reasonable grounds to search your vehicle and finds nothing, what were his grounds? I know if anyone asks to search my vehicle it's a hard no. Experiences like that are worth a phone call to their office and maybe a complaint.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

god like, they are

-- If your pulled over by the C.O.s or at a road check, pull over stop, turn truck off and roll window down, keep your hands in plain visible sight.
    - If you are honest and have nothing to hide, act accordingly --

Jello Mello -- tone of voice? Keep it mello -- attitude ? of gratitude at all latitudes --> Carry on my wayward son -->