Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservation Officers: What is their authority to conduct searches?

Re: Conservation Officers: What is their authority to conduct searches?

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Just a thought. If you're pulled over and the officer has reasonable grounds to search your vehicle and finds nothing, what were his grounds? I know if anyone asks to search my vehicle it's a hard no. Experiences like that are worth a phone call to their office and maybe a complaint.
    If he had reasonable ground to search and you were in compliance, that’s great, you both did your job! The standard is not “beyond a reasonable doubt”, that’s the standard for conviction.

I don't think there's a scenario where an officer asks you to search your vehicle, you say 'no', and they say 'ok' and let you go. Saying 'no' or questioning their grounds or authority is enough to cause suspicion, and thus, reasonable cause. If you have nothing to hide, you have no reason to not comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Jello Mello -- tone of voice? Keep it mello -- attitude ? of gratitude at all latitudes --> Carry on my wayward son -->
    Jelly, you have a beautiful way with words
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Thanks Linksman313 I appreciate your comment, and I want to say we all should give bc steve a round of applause for his sharing such valuable information for HBC members to link up to.
    Jel -- give a hand to bcsteve and hope he keeps up the factual info -- it clears the water -- gives Hope -- brings down the Barrieres --

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    I don't think there's a scenario where an officer asks you to search your vehicle, you say 'no', and they say 'ok' and let you go. Saying 'no' or questioning their grounds or authority is enough to cause suspicion, and thus, reasonable cause. If you have nothing to hide, you have no reason to not comply.
    While COs have some pretty far reaching powers, this attitude makes me scratch my head. Do you want the police to just search you whenever and wherever they want? So what if you have nothing to hide, what about freedom and not living in a police state?

Know your rights and at least stand up for them. Freedom doesn't last if no one stands up for it.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Asking nicely what gave them their reasonable grounds to initiate a search is fully reasonable on your part though. Take note of their answer and learn from it if you can. I don't think they have to give you any answer either, but that could be telling in it of itself. Society doesn't work very well if suspicion of its citizens heightens to the level where you can't do anything without being worried about unwarranted searches and scrutiny.

Ive often thought about this in the context of firearms. Just having a license, seems to give them reasonable cause to suspect you are carrying a weapon, and the authority to inspect it, or in other words search your house, vehicle, and person. Given there is no defined scope on things like random DUI check stops, I always feel like it puts me in a vulnerable position in regard to unreasonable search. Especially when they are in the habit of asking me all kinds of questions that have nothing to do with the scope of their check stop, and where my natural reaction is NYB. Though anecdotally I feel like the RCMP's behaviour has greatly improved over the last few years in relation to their general duties policing citizens.

There is something to be said about not interfering with police intuition as well. But strictly enforced protocols probably help with the formation of that intuition, more than they hinder it most of the time.

Too many scenario's to go thru to cover all stops and searches and why it happened and so forths.
    -- that's why we have finger prints, otherwise a lot of innocent people being found guilty --
    You and I have both made I'D. mistakes, thinking it was someone for sure! Then seeing it isn't.
    Jel -- finger prints, breathalyzers -- etc -- people make mistakes -- sometimes people think there 100 % right and their dead wrong! Everyone does.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Thanks Linksman313 I appreciate your comment, and I want to say we all should give bc steve a round of applause for his sharing such valuable information for HBC members to link up to.
    Jel -- give a hand to bcsteve and hope he keeps up the factual info -- it clears the water -- gives Hope -- brings down the Barrieres --

I agree - thanks to bc steve!

and I also often enjoy your poetry jelvis

Again, ask for their ID or business card. Know who you are dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    While COs have some pretty far reaching powers, this attitude makes me scratch my head. Do you want the police to just search you whenever and wherever they want? So what if you have nothing to hide, what about freedom and not living in a police state?

Know your rights and at least stand up for them. Freedom doesn't last if no one stands up for it.
    I've always asked the reason when I've been searched, well aware of that right to ask. I'm also well aware of the authority of RCMP, COs, and CBSA. I've never felt that complying with a search (while finding out the reason) is an attack on my freedom or the beginning of a police state.

I'm more referring to those that take an obstructionist view and question the authority or legality of a search.