Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: satelite device

Re: satelite device

I have a new spot 3 Gen. hesitant to subscribe as I thinks it’s a joke you cannot pay a cheaper rate In off season.
    I might eat it and go for 1 year since I already have it then switch to Garmin Inreach mini next year, it looks like a better product

Did a trip this spring where we got weathered down at a fish camp and needed to send word home so no one got worried. Guy in camp had an Inreach he let me send a message on, so I sent a message to my wife and got no reply. Don't worry he says, these things always work. Tried again, nothing. We couldn't tell if it hadn't sent, hadn't receiver her reply, or if she hadn't replied. Found a Sat phone a bit later, phoned home, wife picked it up and I told her me and the kids were OK, just delayed. She never did get the texts from the Inreach. Got home and bought an Iridium Sat Phone. With the phones now you can buy a six month 200 minute card for $300 to cover you for the hunting season, then you have a nine month grace period where you can refill your card and still keep your number although the minutes don't roll over if you let them lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest the Land View Post
    X2 for Delorme Inreach. I paid like $400 for mine which hurt at the time but if you've got family that worries about you when you're out of cell phone service hunting/scouting its a no brainer in my opinion. Go get em' tiger!
    X3....I bought a pair of the Delorme higher model last year around Christmas, got them from GPS City in Calgary as they had the best price by far and I didn't pay provincial tax. The Garmin version is considerably more money. I was right around $700 for 2 of the Delormes from GPS City. I haven't used them much as of yet, the purpose was for me to be in contact with the wife whether she was back in camp or at home while I was out. At any rate they definitely do work, get the Earthmate app and pair the device to your phone, get the map on the phone and you can text from your phone's keyboard instead of letter by letter on the device.

I just purchased the new Spot X. Don't have it yet but they now offer flex plans by the month. It has a keyboard so you don't need to rely on having your phone charged if that ever becomes and issue and its cheaper than the Garmin products. There are no toppo mapping capabilities. Thye do say you can have way points and tracks, not sure what that looks like though? I have heard the maps on the inreach itself aren't that great anyway but I've never used it so can't really comment. Has anyone else used or thought about the spot X as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by m5wilson View Post
    I just purchased the new Spot X. Don't have it yet but they now offer flex plans by the month. It has a keyboard so you don't need to rely on having your phone charged if that ever becomes and issue and its cheaper than the Garmin products. There are no toppo mapping capabilities. Thye do say you can have way points and tracks, not sure what that looks like though? I have heard the maps on the inreach itself aren't that great anyway but I've never used it so can't really comment. Has anyone else used or thought about the spot X as an option?
    Can you post a review once you get it and have some time to test it out? I'm hearing mixed reviews even though it looks like a great unit on paper with a nice full keyboard that seems handy.

I like that because it doesnt rely on your phone being charged in order to use the phone keyboard to send a message.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Can you post a review once you get it and have some time to test it out? I'm hearing mixed reviews even though it looks like a great unit on paper with a nice full keyboard that seems handy.

I like that because it doesnt rely on your phone being charged in order to use the phone keyboard to send a message.
    I'm also an inReach fan - and just want to point out - You do NOT need to use your phone to send messages with the inReach - it is just WAY EASIER. It does have a keyboard on screen and is not super user friendly but will work without a phone/tablet. Just so you don't think it can't be done.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

I have a Globalstar Sat phone. I use it for work in my service truck ($75/month for 75 minutes) so using it for hunting & backcountry trips is a good side benefit. Very lightweight for packing and the battery life is great.

The signal/service used to be crap on the Globalstar. The last couple years it's been surprisingly good so I'm happy with it for now. I would still recommend an Iridium phone for hunting use though, they have more flexible plans and usually better signal in remote areas, though the sound quality is not as good as the Globalstar (you get the delay/echo a lot more on the Iridium I find)

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Will try and remember to update when I have some time with it. I agree on paper it does look like a good choice but InReach does have the track record. I liked the price, and keyboard although I'll likely have my phone anyway. Planning a, likely solo, goat hunt so figured it would be a good idea. Also a friend wanted the Spot X and I have confirmed with spot you can message eachother spot to spot so we figured we would try them.