Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spot 2 way messenger - anyone use one?

Re: Spot 2 way messenger - anyone use one?

Aside from the satellite issues (I've never had Spot messages delayed), There is one sticking point I have with the InReach, although I may change anyways....

The InReach is now a GPS/PLB with an internal battery. I use my GPS frequently which means I'd have to have ways to recharge the internal battery to ensure my GPS AND PLB is ready to go. I could carry my separate Garmin, but now I'm toting two GPS units around? The one benefit the Spot has is that I can just turn it on when I need it and save the battery. For those that only use GPS a little bit, probably not an issue.

I realize the InReach is a better system, but I upgraded to the Spot X because I had already renewed my yearly plan from a Gen3, which at that point in time, costed way lass than a InReach system. Now they're comparable.

Apparently the InReach is painful to type in messages with, and the bluetooth connectivity is not great, but then you now need to keep a phone charged up to? Again, depends on your situation, but for backcountry hunts, the less gear the better.

Like I said, I'll probably upgrade to the InReach once my yearly plan expires and sell my Spot X, but the InReach has it's own conundrum. I wish it used replaceable batteries with the option of a rechargeable pack like other Garmin GPS units.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Aside from the satellite issues (I've never had Spot messages delayed), There is one sticking point I have with the InReach, although I may change anyways....

The InReach is now a GPS/PLB with an internal battery. I use my GPS frequently which means I'd have to have ways to recharge the internal battery to ensure my GPS AND PLB is ready to go. I could carry my separate Garmin, but now I'm toting two GPS units around? The one benefit the Spot has is that I can just turn it on when I need it and save the battery. For those that only use GPS a little bit, probably not an issue.

I realize the InReach is a better system, but I upgraded to the Spot X because I had already renewed my yearly plan from a Gen3, which at that point in time, costed way lass than a InReach system. Now they're comparable.

Apparently the InReach is painful to type in messages with, and the bluetooth connectivity is not great, but then you now need to keep a phone charged up to? Again, depends on your situation, but for backcountry hunts, the less gear the better.

Like I said, I'll probably upgrade to the InReach once my yearly plan expires and sell my Spot X, but the InReach has it's own conundrum. I wish it used replaceable batteries with the option of a rechargeable pack like other Garmin GPS units.

I have zero issues with my Garmin inreach Bluetooth connection or just texting with the inreach unit. It’s not like I’m typing a life story. I carry a small portable charger from amazon and just plug it in during the evenings on extended trips.

I always carry my phone on me anyways ... for taking photos. So as of right now the in reach MINI is sounding like the best option. I dont need the bigger one as I have a dedicated gps already so as long as the bluetooth connection to the phone is pretty good that will work well for me.

I too carry a small charger from amazon to keep the phone alive on multi day trips.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I always carry my phone on me anyways ... for taking photos. So as of right now the in reach MINI is sounding like the best option. I dont need the bigger one as I have a dedicated gps already so as long as the bluetooth connection to the phone is pretty good that will work well for me.

I too carry a small charger from amazon to keep the phone alive on multi day trips.
    hey 270 - I was thinking the exact same thing. I have a dedicated GPS, so was thinking of replacing my camera with my phone and getting the inreach mini. How much do the mini chargers weigh to keep the phone charged? Like someone mentioned the less gear the better, but I'd like my days of going into the mtns without a safety backup to be over...

TJ