Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any spike-fork moose tips for reg 8 in November?

Any spike-fork moose tips for reg 8 in November?

Heading out to the 8-12 to 8-14 area for a few days just before Remembrance day and it looks like spike-fork moose are open. Any tips for a guy with zero knowledge about moose? I was going to look for deer but expanding my horizons might be fun.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any spike-fork moose tips for reg 8 in November?

Have lots of fuel in your tank , good luck . Moose being Moose could and will be anywhere . You wont be alone looking for the elusive Spike-Fork Moose .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Have lots of fuel in your tank , good luck . Moose being Moose could and will be anywhere . You wont be alone looking for the elusive Spike-Fork Moose .
    That's what the weekdays are for ��
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

'Have lots of fuel in your tank'
    yupp
    Find fresh snow and walk til you find a track

bring fuel for the truck too
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Just need some luck, you may get 100 yards from camp and see one or you may drive and hike all weekend and not see any? Good luck to you
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

It's all about scouting, tracking and habits. Young bulls have two things on their mind; food and receptive females, even this late. Remember when you were twenty, they don't have beer and not many receptive females. But, as any twenty year old will tell you, hope springs eternal.

If you are going into an area that you aren't familiar with, good luck! Do you know where the food and water is, what is the lay of the land, where do the FSRs, spurs and game trails lead, where are the pinch points, dry bedding spots under good cover, any game camera pics?

I think immies are found in close proximity of mom/cow. I have never seen an immy without it's mom close by.

Hate to tell you but looking for a spike for bull is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. If your in the right place at the right time maybe you might see one. But before you can maybe confirm its legal it’s gone. I saw one last year in an area we know holds moose. He was with a nice bigger bull & cow. To bad the spike season didn’t open until two weeks later.

Heading in to a spot in 8-11 when I get home myself. Consistently saw 7, 1 bull 2 cows and 4 calf’s last fall so crossing my fingers this year. Now just gotta hope my relief shows up so I can get home from work

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Any tips for a guy with zero knowledge about moose?!
    Maybe search a few old posts on HBC. Look for elevated swamps surrounded with heavy cover on Google Earth and be prepared to walk to them, and tracks in the snow of course. Most of these type of areas will now need quad or SxS to access now in the Boundary. 8-14/-15.

Let me ask you a question, have you ever been to 8-12/8-14? have you ever scouted this area? Do you know what kind of habitat you will find here for moose?
    If you just picked these regions out of a hat you have your work cut out, Gas and time for the elusive Unicorn Spike Fork.

Good Luck
    See you out there!
    Links
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm