Thread: Fraser Valley veterinarian... and other questions.

Fraser Valley veterinarian... and other questions.

I've searched the forums an gotten some ideas but the posts seem to be a bit dated so I wanted to ask anyways. I'm getting my pup in 2 weeks time at 10 weeks old. Done my research and am prepared for the basics (not my first dog) however this is my first hunting dog. So I have a vey I used to go to in Burnaby who was great but I now live in chilliwack and was hoping to find someone in the valley who is recommended for hunting dogs. This will be my first kick at the can for hunting training and I know it takes time and dedication which I'll be giving it (single no kids 🤣&#129315 I should be able to do a decent job with it.

Ideally a vet in Chilliwack or Abbotsford would be best but could go further. It would just be nice to have a vet I could discuss the food and diet with in regards to hunting season vs off-season an that type of stuff. (I know I can always ask you guys on the forum)

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Also curious who foods raw to a retriever an if you ever had any issue with the dog confusing a retrive with food ?

For now that's all I'll ask.

O an the pup is a Chesapeake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fraser Valley veterinarian... and other questions.

Dr hoff has always treated me well. Very to the point and cost effective. Like anything someone may have a different opinion but i would recommend him in a heart beat.

I dealt with Dr. Carnes at Country Grove in Aldergrove for years. He's now retired and sold his business to Dr. Wolfe.
    Unfortunately the only dealings with Dr. Wolfe and her staff was on the last days of my buddy Duke. I know they all did what they could for him, and I have to say I was treated very well...

Doesn't speak a whole lot to the "new" Doc I guess (especially regarding food and diet), but something tells me that Dr. Carnes wouldn't have passed on his business without some solid research, so maybe worth contacting??

My silly dog was a Chessie/Lab cross fyi....make sure you eat your wheaties!

Dr Ben Greenberg at Coastal rivers in Abbotsford is my guy.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I kind of miss those early puppy days. Lots of trials and tribulations but it's very rewarding to see your pup progress! Don't forget to start introducing your pup top loud noises while he's eating to prepare him so he's not gun shy. I started off with a kid's cap gun fired off in another room and got closer every other day. Popping balloons works, too. Highly recommend crate training for house breaking and never having the pup off leash in the house for several weeks,,,makes for a quick grab if you start to see him circle. I managed to get through house breaking with only 3-4 accidents,,,,,all on torrentially raining days.

My vet is in Surrey so that's a little too far away for you,,,,but I like her a lot! Have fun with your new little guy!

[QUOTE=BDB.Hunting;2025410]I've searched the forums an gotten some ideas but the posts seem to be a bit dated so I wanted to ask anyways. I'm getting my pup in 2 weeks time at 10 weeks old. Done my research and am prepared for the basics (not my first dog) however this is my first hunting dog. So I have a vey I used to go to in Burnaby who was great but I now live in chilliwack and was hoping to find someone in the valley who is recommended for hunting dogs. This will be my first kick at the can for hunting training and I know it takes time and dedication which I'll be giving it (single no kids 🤣&#129315 I should be able to do a decent job with it.

Ideally a vet in Chilliwack or Abbotsford would be best but could go further. It would just be nice to have a vet I could discuss the food and diet with in regards to hunting season vs off-season an that type of stuff. (I know I can always ask you guys on the forum)

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Also curious who foods raw to a retriever an if you ever had any issue with the dog confusing a retrive with food ?

For now that's all I'll ask.

I live in Chilliwack. I currently go to Cottonwood. Valleyview is good too.
    There should be no difference between hunting season vs off-season.... especially with the number of retriever Clubs in our area. Training should be a year round thing, not a 3 month hunting season thing IMO....besides Hunt Tests are fun and totally doable for many hunting dogs.

I feed raw. My dogs have never ripped up anything that they have retrieved or been sticky.
    I check my dogs daily while Im petting them.... to skinny up their food slightly... to heavy, decrease slightly

Would love to see pics of your pup and I hope you do get interested in hunt test cause there are no chessie's running here!! I'm tired of being the odd dog out!!

Check out this up coming workshop.....https://www.canuckdogs.com/upload/Do...50569873b0.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post

I live in Chilliwack. I currently go to Cottonwood. Valleyview is good too.
    There should be no difference between hunting season vs off-season.... especially with the number of retriever Clubs in our area. Training should be a year round thing, not a 3 month hunting season thing IMO....besides Hunt Tests are fun and totally doable for many hunting dogs.

I feed raw. My dogs have never ripped up anything that they have retrieved or been sticky.
    I check my dogs daily while Im petting them.... to skinny up their food slightly... to heavy, decrease slightly

Would love to see pics of your pup and I hope you do get interested in hunt test cause there are no chessie's running here!! I'm tired of being the odd dog out!!

Check out this up coming workshop.....https://www.canuckdogs.com/upload/Do...50569873b0.pdf
    Hey Kasomor,

I actually was looking into a Nova Scotia Duck Toller when I first was looking into sporting dogs. (thats what your dog is correct ?) I think I even went to your breeder site.

I do want to get into the hunt test cause I do like the idea of not having an off season. The breeder also pushed the idea an gave me direction to start looking with the Fraser Valley Retriever Training Club. I emailed and got a bunch of info that I am still somewhat sifting through. I could definitely use a pointer or two on training direction do you recommend a book or just tons of research and see what the dog responds best to ? She also mentioned the BC Lab retriever club but I haven't talked to them yet as I have been so busy.

Sadly that workshop is the day I will be in Alberta getting my Pup so I wont be able to make it really wish I could though cause it would be perfect to get me information I need to get started. Do you know of any other ones coming down the pipe ?

When I get my pictures Ill post them up on a new thread so everyone can post dog photos.

Quote Originally Posted by BDB.Hunting View Post
    Hey Kasomor,

I actually was looking into a Nova Scotia Duck Toller when I first was looking into sporting dogs. (thats what your dog is correct ?) I think I even went to your breeder site.

I do want to get into the hunt test cause I do like the idea of not having an off season. The breeder also pushed the idea an gave me direction to start looking with the Fraser Valley Retriever Training Club. I emailed and got a bunch of info that I am still somewhat sifting through. I could definitely use a pointer or two on training direction do you recommend a book or just tons of research and see what the dog responds best to ? She also mentioned the BC Lab retriever club but I haven't talked to them yet as I have been so busy.

Sadly that workshop is the day I will be in Alberta getting my Pup so I wont be able to make it really wish I could though cause it would be perfect to get me information I need to get started. Do you know of any other ones coming down the pipe ?

When I get my pictures Ill post them up on a new thread so everyone can post dog photos.
    Yes, I hunt them, run hunt tests, do competitive obedience, show my tollers and I breed the occasional litter too

I'm a member of the clubs you mentioned. Both have their pros and cons. I follow Lardy, with a bunch of other stuff added. Your breeder would be your best training resource.

I typically hold another workshop in March for the Golden Retriever Club of BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Yes, I hunt them, run hunt tests, do competitive obedience, show my tollers and I breed the occasional litter too

I'm a member of the clubs you mentioned. Both have their pros and cons. I follow Lardy, with a bunch of other stuff added. Your breeder would be your best training resource.

I typically hold another workshop in March for the Golden Retriever Club of BC

I had a chat with my breeder the other day an She mentioned Lardy so I think I'm going to lean that way at least at first and see how it goes. I am a little bit away from it though cause I will have to get the pup through the basics. I will be looking into some puppy classes and believe TNT Kennels has one and seeing as they are part of that workshop Its probably not a bad place to start in my mind.

I will keep my eyes open for the workshop in March it would be around the right timing for me as I should be starting to dig into the more complicated stuff by that point.

I got a side shot of the pup today so Ill see if I can post it.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    I dealt with Dr. Carnes at Country Grove in Aldergrove for years. He's now retired and sold his business to Dr. Wolfe.
    Unfortunately the only dealings with Dr. Wolfe and her staff was on the last days of my buddy Duke. I know they all did what they could for him, and I have to say I was treated very well...

Doesn't speak a whole lot to the "new" Doc I guess (especially regarding food and diet), but something tells me that Dr. Carnes wouldn't have passed on his business without some solid research, so maybe worth contacting??

My silly dog was a Chessie/Lab cross fyi....make sure you eat your wheaties!

Could be an option for sure I like to think that a good Vet would pass it on to another good Vet.

Yeah Ive been prepping for the little guy. Apparently he is the first to the kennel door everytime so He will be my hiking buddy as well.