Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw – What ram would you hunt?

Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw – What ram would you hunt?

A lot of hunters are unaware of the Special Mountain Sheep Resident draw. This magic tag allows the hunter to hunt any ram in any public land location (where there is a GOS or LEH season) in BC during an expanded season.
    For thinhorns, you can hunt between July 7 – Mar 31st, or big horn during the start of the regular season until Dec 20th.
    Unlike other draws or tags, a large portion goes to the resource - $10 of the $15.75 goes to HCTF sheep projects and you can buy as many tickets as you want….upping your chances to win and your contribution.

Now to my question: if you were to draw this once in many, many lifetimes’ tag, what sheep and area would pursue?
    If it was me, I would start mid-July up North looking over a bunch of dall sheep. I would be looking for a really old sheep. If I didn’t find an exceptionally old ram, I would scout the Koots for big horn and hunt the extended late season once all the GOS guys had to go home.
    Don’t forget to get yourself a golden ticket LEH and help sheep conservation in BC. $15.75 is worth the dreaming alone.

From the LEH Synopsis :
    The Special Mountain Sheep resident draw is available to resident hunters for fall 2019 and the Hunt Code is 6000. Hunters have the option to submit multiple applications for this draw.
    There is only one resident Special Mountain Sheep authorization for one Mountain Sheep.

The successful applicant for the Special Mountain Sheep hunt must hold a valid resident hunting licence, a Mountain Sheep species licence and the Special Mountain Sheep authorization while hunting. Please note that, while the Special Mountain Sheep authorization allows the hunter to exceed the provincial bag limit of 1 and harvest an additional Sheep in the same licence year, the hunter CANNOT hold more than one valid Mountain Sheep species licence at any one time. A second species licence may not be purchased until after the first species licence has been cancelled. If an animal is harvested during the special hunt, it will not be considered in the calculation of reduced odds for future LEH applications. All other restrictions, including the location of open seasons, weapons restrictions, species, and sex listed in either the 2019-2020
    LEH Synopsis or the 2020-2022 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis, when available, apply to this special hunt. The successful applicant need not follow horn curl regulations that apply in the area hunted as the Special Mountain Sheep authorization will be for “any ram.” In addition, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to hunt either a bighorn or thinhorn ram Mountain Sheep during the dates listed below. If hunting a thinhorn ram sheep, the successful applicant may hunt up to 21 days prior to the opening date listed below for the intended hunt region.

The non-refundable application fee for each Special Mountain Sheep application is $15.75 (includes GST). $10.00 from each application fee will be directed to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation for projects specific to Mountain Sheep Management.

2019 OPENING SEASON DATES FOR
    MOUNTAIN SHEEP
    (Subject to Change)
    Region 3 Thompson Sept. 10/19
    Region 4 Kootenay Sept. 10/19
    Region 5 Cariboo Sept. 1/19
    Region 6 Skeena Aug. 1/19
    Region 7 Omineca/Peace Aug. 1/19
    Region 8 Okanagan Aug. 25/19
    2019 CLOSING SEASON DATES FOR
    MOUNTAIN SHEEP
    (Subject to Change)
    In all Regions the closing dates are as
    follows:

Bighorn Mountain Sheep Dec. 20/19
    Thinhorn Mountain Sheep Mar. 31/20
    Go to www.gov.bc.ca/hunting for more
    information and to find out when the 2019 Special
    Mountain Sheep is open for applications.
    The deadline for the 2019 Special Mountain Sheep
    applications is 11:59 p.m., Friday July 27, 2018
    WSSBC Life Member

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw – What ram would you hunt?

Never heard of this before, thanks for the info

Would most definitely be going for the "bucket lister" Granby Ram (8-15) of I drew the tag!!
    Buddy drew it a few years ago and got an absolute monster Ram, he is still making payments on the wall mount.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I'd take six months off and go from north to south. Probably wouldn't even shoot anything to keep the trip going haha

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    I'd take six months off and go from north to south. Probably wouldn't even shoot anything to keep the trip going haha
    You hunt ......
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Thanks for the heads up......just bought the winning ticket........now to test out that new 6.5 PRC on a big Ram !!!!
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Definitely a California Bighorn to complete my BC Grand Slam!

I'd go look for a white sheep for a bit for sure, and then likely aim my sights on a late season bighorn in the Kootenays. Something about watching those videos growing up of the late season hunts for big black horned rams that makes me want to do it.

I just glossed over that bit in the LEH newspaper. I'm in. I'd be in for the $10 for sheep if they asked me for it, with or without the draw.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

I'd go Reg 3 for the full curl with a twirl, Kammy Lake --Right out our front door --
    Jel -- thanx for the heads up on HBC -- scttcanuck with a great thread and a heads up --

Bighorns. No question.