Thread: Rumored First Nations Deactivation of Road to Ghost Lake

Rumored First Nations Deactivation of Road to Ghost Lake

Hi,
    Looking for confirmation/debunking of rumor that was passed along to me by someone who has the 5-15B draw. I was told that his daughter is in the ministry up near Likely and that she has told him that the road has been deactivated with large boulders out of Likely by the local First Nations Band. He has cancelled his hunt. I have heard nothing here or anywhere else in regards to this, so at this point I find it hard to believe that it is true. Hopefully those who live that way can shed some light on this. Thinking he was just trying to get less people to go on the hunt lol.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rumored First Nations Deactivation of Road to Ghost Lake

Cant this lake be accessed from the Barkerville side?

Yes it can be accessed from barkerville side.

Yes it can be, however, it is a much longer drive. I also do not want to drive all the way to Likely and then have to turn around and go all the way back out.

That was a great drive. We camped at ghost lake 1 night on the way to Barkerville via the back roads. There is an outfitter between ghost and Caribou lk as well, we stopped in for coffee and fresh cheese cake overlooking the meadows.

i wouldn't cancel a hunt because of a few extra hours of driving. In my experience you should expect many many setbacks and unexpected issues on a hunting adventure.

You were worried about being blockaded from the area. Access is there.

I was/am not "worried" about being blockaded from the area. I am not canceling my hunt. I never was. Someone else did. I have hunted this area extensively and understand hunting is full of challenges, however, I do not want to waste time or gas. Why would I drive to Likely in order to get to a "setback" if I can avoid it? Just to prove I can overcome? No, the wise thing is to avoid setbacks and obstacles if you can. That is what I am doing. With gas prices the way they are the shortest route is preferred, and doubling back is not wise. That is the only reason for my post. Not for hunting advice. Not for honey holes. Not to bash First Nations. Not to whine. Not to quit. Simply for planning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    i wouldn't cancel a hunt because of a few extra hours of driving. In my experience you should expect many many setbacks and unexpected issues on a hunting adventure.

You were worried about being blockaded from the area. Access is there.

Fair enough. Time and gas are expensive. Good luck on your hunt. I enjoyed my trip up there, very nice country.

As far as I understand the likely barkerville route is an emergency route that is maintained and kept open, seems a strange place to blockade since really the only people being blockaded is tourists..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA