Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tulameen FSR & Murphy Lakes

Tulameen FSR & Murphy Lakes

I am getting back into hunting after a long absence and was wondering if the Tulameen FSR and Murphy Lakes area is worth looking at this fall?

I live in the lower mainland and find this area, or any others if someone would like to share, quite close for a day trips.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Member of:

The Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC Region 2
    Wildsheep Foundation

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tulameen FSR & Murphy Lakes

I've hunted there because it's close to home. There is game there but I never had much luck. Always seen more moose bulls than bucks there to be honest.

I had better luck driving a little further north ... brookmere, aspen grove, kane valley area .... but the recreational use sure has picked up A LOT in recent years up there. Keep that in mind.

If you're willing to pick a good spot away from the roads and hike in a ways you should be ok. Recent logging (last year) wont show up on Google earth so remember that the remote spot you want to hike in could now have a logging road right to it.

I've hunted there many times and camped there many more. There are plenty of good spots but I've only ever seen 2 bucks there many years apart. (Though that really doesn't mean much. Especially since I was very new at hunting) The competition is fierce there though and I've seen a lot of people up there doing stupid things. Mind you, you're going to run into that everywhere.

twoSevenO mentioned a lot of good points above though. If you get off the roads and hike in a ways you'd be fine. There is a lot of good ground to cover. (Most everyone I've seen up there was truck hunting). And they did do a lot of logging there last year so keep that in mind like he said as well. I've also hunted the brookmere, kane valley areas as well and they're also good and within a reasonable distance. I agree about the recreational use though.

Best of luck. Sorry I can't offer more helpful information.
    Last edited by Dash; 08-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Sorry for the echo....Very popular place among hunters and ATV enthusiasts alike. And in the winter months, a ton of snowmobiles and side x sides. Seen a bunch of moose up there, and there’s a healthy population of deer up there, but they sure know how to stay away from people.

My gues is the noise of all that all terrain traffic could be driving them into the thicker parts of that country.

if you do spring bear, bring mosquito spray and a set of steel balls, you’ll need both.

Oh I forgot, Steeleco has those!

I was up there in June/July sometime doing some target practice and yes, mosquitoes were really really bad.

Last weekend it was black flies and wasps. If you don't go you won't know!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Much appreciation for the information.

Is it difficult to pinpoint Crown Land vs Private Land in Brookmere, Kane Valley and Aspen Grove. I was having a look on Google Earth and there are some houses and barns in these areas.

Thank you.
    Member of:

The Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC Region 2
    Wildsheep Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by pgrundle View Post
    Much appreciation for the information.

Is it difficult to pinpoint Crown Land vs Private Land in Brookmere, Kane Valley and Aspen Grove. I was having a look on Google Earth and there are some houses and barns in these areas.

Thank you.
    This is true. But, from my experience there, those who do not want trespassers on their property are pretty good at putting up ample signs saying so.

They have also logged heavily north of Davis Lk, between Thalia and Dodds lakes so dont expect that area to look anything like it looks on Google Earth.

The deer up in there will be in smaller pockets. These days. You wont find many wandering in the open. Look for something away from recreation and away from recent logging.

We've taken a 4 point there in 2010 for the Thanksgiving long weekend. Davis lake campsite was 100% empty. The year after that there must have been 20 trailers there for the same weekend. From what I hear rec use has only gotten worse up there since then.

^^^ So bad in fact the Kane valley road has huge signs stating that's its a provincial road and all rules apply AKA helmets and seat belts! There are holes in which you can do well on a given day but if you don't go learn you'll never find them !!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!