Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXO packs ?

Talking EXO packs ?

Just curious to know if anyone has any experience with these packs? I have done some research and am learning towards the k2 3500. I have a stone glacier and it's time to move on. Looked into kuiu kifaru sitka and mystery ranch all have some pros and cons. I will be using it to pack one of the legal bulls I have on my cams . Mostly using it for short 5 day trips but I have done some longer hauls upwards of 2 weeks . Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: EXO packs ?

I picked up a K2 3500 this year. Absolutely love it. Havent hauled out an animal with it yet, but have had a fair bit of weight in it. I went with a 3500 over a 5500 because I expect to do mostly day and overnight trips, with a couple of 3 nighters and I don't see any 5+ day trips happening until next year. That being said, the long term plan is to sell the 3500 bag and buy a 2000 and 5500.

Before committing to a 3500, I would look at what your needs are and see if a 5500 would be a better choice. IMO, an average guy can squeeze 3 days out of a 3500 without having a bunch of stuff strapped on the outside of the pack. Unless you're set up well with very compressible gear, no luxury items, and a small shelter, 5+ days may be a stretch. That being said, I have a 2P tent, and I fit it inside the pack. A buddy picked up a 5500 around the same time as me, and both packs compress about the same, but the 5500 is much much larger expanded.

All said and done, it wasn't cheap by the time it got here, but its a long term piece of gear.

Some sound advice thanks for the input. That would be an ideal setup for sure to have the the 2000 and 5500. I just dont think at this point I can fathom spending the money on both so I may just bite the bullet and pick up the 5500 for now and in the near future purchase the 2000. Have you had weight in the load shelf area just as a test ? Curious onto how it feels stability wise I would think with the stability and compression straps it would be a solid pack

I have a k2 frame with the 2000, 3500 and 5500 bags. If you're doing 5 day+ hunts you'll want the 5500. Great pack
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

i have the exo 5500 as well and really like this pack. it can be compressed tight enough for day hikes and can be used as an all around pack. I can load mine up with 7/8 days food and all my overnight trip gear. This pack is very comfortable and seem well built. It only downfall would be if you are planning a long 8 or more days trip it might be a bit small. If your buyin just the one bag i’d go with the 5500 because it does work good loaded up or in day mode.

Great thank you I think I have made up my mind and will be purchasing the larger bag

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Liveforthehunt View Post
    Great thank you I think I have made up my mind and will be purchasing the larger bag
    I had the 2000 and the 5500, I never used the 2000 bag once, you can compress the bigger bag to nothing so it’s multi purpose, I would just get the 5500 and you’ll be a happy camper, great pack, comfortable and well laid out.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I've been thinking about dumping my Kuiu and going Exo. Wavering between the 3500 and 5500 - rarely would use the extra space of the 5500 and may just think of it a as a license to add stuff I don't really need to take with me.

Why are you getting rid of the Stone Glacier? I was pretty set on that until I started digging into the Exos more.

I run the K2 5500 also. Spent the winter in Baja training in the mountains and hauling 65-80lb of sand in the heat and I can say it is the best pack I've ever owned. Great service too from the guys at Exo.
    Life often delivers what you need but rarely what you want.

It doesn't matter where you come from, it only matters where you go
    No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do. ~ Frank Turner

im really enjoying my 5500. i was also on the fence between the 3500 and the 5500 but in the end i figured it because it packed down so nice id rather have the space.
    i usually carry around a 60 pound bag of sand when im walking the dog and doing hikes. which is still very comfy
    also agree with the good service as it came with a strap tensioner being backwards on the hip belt. had a new belt in a few days after i called them