Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Archery Stones hunt - my daily lessons...

Solo Archery Stones hunt - my daily lessons...

It all started about 6 months ago, I had a crazy idea to go chase stone sheep with a bow again but my only problem was my lack of bow hunting buddies that can get the time off. Last year was the first trip where I carried a bow in sheep country but it was mainly to keep myself from shooting another one with a rifle. Most importantly though, it was my sheep hunting partner’s son that needed to get an opportunity at a ram so that is what Aaron and I did. Our efforts and tactics were geared towards a rifle hunt and not a bow hunt.

With no options for a partner, I made the tough decision to plan the 11 night archery stone sheep hunt as a solo quest. I knew very well what this would mean, it would require a heavier pack in with the lack of shared gear, no ‘back-up’ if shit hits the fan and finally a lot of talking to myself. I love to hunt by myself but usually end up going on 2 maybe 3 day trips so this 11 night option was a little unfamiliar to me.

My plan started out as it did for every other sheep hunt, I opened my computer and opened my spread sheet to go over my gear list. I usually make the changes right away after a trip so I have instant feedback and I don’t get bogged down with packing a bunch of ‘what-ifs’. Everything was in order and ready to get tossed in my pack.

Next it was time to choose a location, well that was easy; Todagin Bow zone here I come!!!! I contacted a couple guys off this site with questions and ideas and I went over the maps and google earth. I didn’t spend too much time scouting as I had a pretty good idea that finding sheep in that country wouldn’t be too tough, finding a legal ram that makes a mistake would be the next to impossible challenge. Another concern of mine was going to be the crowd, I had read on this site that some years 20+ guys will be in for opening… I took that as an opportunity to hike farther!

With my plans all coming together I talked the better half into helping me (more like doing it for me) dehydrate all my meals. With that task done, it was now just a waiting game until I could start my journey North.
    Last edited by Andrewh; 08-11-2018 at 03:56 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Solo Archery Stones hunt - my daily lessons...

Sweet! being it on

Wicked, can't wait for the rest.,..would be interesting to see your gear list as well....

Looking forward to hearing how the hunt turned out!

You have some balls, sir. I’m impressed already.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

With my car packed and last few arrows flung in the backyard, I was on my way North on the 29th. I managed to get up to the trailhead in short order (16 hrs) and the original plan was to hike in on the morning of the 31st but I was there on the 30th. The last decision that I had to make for my gear list was if I was going to pack a 12g up or simply just rely on the bear spray. I hummed and hawed for a little while and ended up leaving it in the car. So just like that I was headed into grizzly country armed with an old can of bear spray from 2004. I tied up the boots and started my hike…up…up and then more up…

It was a very hot day, around 30* to be exact, so the hike up was a little more exhausting than I was anticipating. I broke into the alpine after an hour and a half or so and immediately jumped off the trail and started heading up to a peak that was recommended to me. It was more work right off the bat but it gave me the perfect perspective of the area as I needed to get the landscape and draws etc. pictured in my head. I sat up on that peak for a couple hours and glassed the entire area but only managed to turn up a few sheep here and there. It wasn’t surprising as the heat most likely had them all hiding and not to mention the bugs!!!!. With the situation, weather wise, I made sure that I checked both spots that they would be found; down low in the timber and up high on the tops of the surrounding peaks.

While I was up on top of the peak, I ended up glassing a few sheep as well as a couple other guys heading in for their crack at arrowing a ram. After a few hours up top, I started my way down and up the main route which lead me right past the camp of the other two guys. I stopped to say hi and we chatted briefly. They had been in the area a lot and were more than willing to share some info with me so that was very much appreciated. I just love running into guys that understand that hunting is not a competition but rather an experience you can share with others around you.

I ended up setting camp a little past them for the night as it was close to the only water source in the area. It had been a pretty dry summer up there so the creeks that normally had water were bone dry. After dinner, I walked over to the cliff edge to see if I could spot any more sheep as the heat was starting to dissipate for the evening. I ended up glassing and chatting with the two others for a while which was a really nice way to spend the evening. We managed to spot one lonely 4-5yr old ram half way up ‘ram castle’ and that was it for the evening. I turned it in pretty early as tomorrow was another moving day/scouting day so it would no doubt be full of heat, bugs, hills and many km’s.

Lesson learned: If you don’t think you need an item, don’t toss it in the vehicle. Leave it at home or else it might end up in your bag…

Loving this!

Now this is a good hunt report!!! Thanks and looking forward to the rest!

Can’t wait to hear the rest, love it!

Really great story so far and super clear pictures.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.