Thread: Solo Archery Stones hunt - my daily lessons...

Threaded View

Solo Archery Stones hunt - my daily lessons...

It all started about 6 months ago, I had a crazy idea to go chase stone sheep with a bow again but my only problem was my lack of bow hunting buddies that can get the time off. Last year was the first trip where I carried a bow in sheep country but it was mainly to keep myself from shooting another one with a rifle. Most importantly though, it was my sheep hunting partner’s son that needed to get an opportunity at a ram so that is what Aaron and I did. Our efforts and tactics were geared towards a rifle hunt and not a bow hunt.

With no options for a partner, I made the tough decision to plan the 11 night archery stone sheep hunt as a solo quest. I knew very well what this would mean, it would require a heavier pack in with the lack of shared gear, no ‘back-up’ if shit hits the fan and finally a lot of talking to myself. I love to hunt by myself but usually end up going on 2 maybe 3 day trips so this 11 night option was a little unfamiliar to me.

My plan started out as it did for every other sheep hunt, I opened my computer and opened my spread sheet to go over my gear list. I usually make the changes right away after a trip so I have instant feedback and I don’t get bogged down with packing a bunch of ‘what-ifs’. Everything was in order and ready to get tossed in my pack.

Next it was time to choose a location, well that was easy; Todagin Bow zone here I come!!!! I contacted a couple guys off this site with questions and ideas and I went over the maps and google earth. I didn’t spend too much time scouting as I had a pretty good idea that finding sheep in that country wouldn’t be too tough, finding a legal ram that makes a mistake would be the next to impossible challenge. Another concern of mine was going to be the crowd, I had read on this site that some years 20+ guys will be in for opening… I took that as an opportunity to hike farther!

With my plans all coming together I talked the better half into helping me (more like doing it for me) dehydrate all my meals. With that task done, it was now just a waiting game until I could start my journey North.
    Last edited by Andrewh; 08-11-2018 at 03:56 PM.

2. Site Sponsor