Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me get the monkey off my back...

Re: Help me get the monkey off my back...

Pm sent to your inbox
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

stu,

i normally see alot of bears in bow season....giver balls buddy and saskatoon berry patches will still be producing...ummm had saskatoon cheesecake last night.

Don't over think it. I shoot 2 bears a year just cruising cut blocks. Half the time I don't even have my shoes tied. All you need to do is put in time. Bears are spread out over the whole province. If you want to go to Clearwater then go for it, but you can't really pick a bad spot in BC. Lots of places closer to your home though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Nice bear IslandWanderer, thank for sharing. By waste of time I mean it depends where you live,
    Driving from Vancouver it takes ~3h to get in the bush and the same time to get back...
    If it makes you feel any better I’m 2-3 hours from good hunting too. We see most bears in the last few hours of the day, so we usually watch tv and drink coffee all morning before we even hop in the truck.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Don't ever let the pressure of punching a tag detract from the enjoyment of the hunt. good times
    Once you squeeze the trigger the work starts until it,s in the freezer. In the fall don't hunt to close to a salmon stream. I like bear meat and salmon but not together.

Hmmm BUTCHER...has given you sage advice..bang on....I will add one thing..USUALLY the last 30 minutes of each day..as its getting dark...BEST time but as tge season gets to fall..the bears can extend that feeding..look for leaves in the valley = water / moisture = fall berries..
    Good luck
    Steven

You know what your problem is? You're out hunting for bears, you need to be out hunting for deer, or elk, or moose, something that is non bear... and then just when you think you are in a great spot to find said deer/elk/moose some bloody bear will be there... Then you'll get your bear...LOL

Seriously though, you don't have to go to Clearwater, but by all means, if going there gives you confidence, then go there! A big part of hunting is having confidence in yourself and in the area, so you continue to push hard, and keep going. I never go "hunting", I go walking in the forest with a gun a lot...........................

As was previously said though, I recommend staying away from any area close to the rivers, you'll see lots of bears, but frankly "fish bears" taste like a$$. You really want one of those alpine "berry bears" they taste so much better. But if tagging out on bear is your priority, then remember salmon are a fan favorite. Glass lots, remember black bears aren't just black, but if you see something that looks like a burnt stump, have a second look, could be a foraging bear. I have had success in flat areas, that have long ago been logged out, with lots of rotting wood, they love turning over the logs/stumps to find bugs etc... If you see these massive rotted logs that look like they have been moved, there is a bear in the area.

When its dry out like now, check creeks, run offs, etc, where the tasty green stuff grows. Bears do enjoy their share of "salad".

And most importantly have fun, explore the province, I actually envy you... You have a great "excuse" to go out and hunt.. Gotta tag that bear!

A big thank you to everyone for all the tips and especially the PMs.
    It is a big help and I feel confident that this is going to be the year of the bear ham
    and not that of a tag salad.

I hope I will be sharing some nice pics in a few weeks.

Feel free to post more tips for fall bear if you feel like it, I'm sure someone
    else is in the same situation as I am and will benefit from it.
    It makes me wonder why are there so many spring bear threads but almost
    none fall bear questions?

Once again a huge thank you to everyone for the overwhelming responses.

Quote Originally Posted by howa1500 View Post
    As was previously said though, I recommend staying away from any area close to the rivers, you'll see lots of bears, but frankly "fish bears" taste like a$$. You really want one of those alpine "berry bears" they taste so much better. But if tagging out on bear is your priority, then remember salmon are a fan favorite.
    Actually I'm hoping for a nice fat "berry bear" as I'm planing to render the fat out of it. I heard bear fat pie crust supposed to be awesome.

Hmmm any bear that is consuming rotting stinking salmon..will also be stinky unpalatable. .lol stay away from fall salmon if table fare is important.
    Good luck straight shooting.
    Steven

early season id be looking for berry patches. another thing i do when scouting areas during hot times of the day when they might not be out, drive the roads and look for scat. if you find a road with lots you rather have several bears or frequent visitors both worth checking further into. Good luck!