Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sockeye tomorrow

Sockeye tomorrow

Long time fishing, but first time trying the sockeye run. To be honest I don’t want to participate in the gong show. Not asking for secret spot, but is there basically good producing, less crowded spots. Or, is the only options to stand shoulder to shoulder with the masses? I have fishing kayak if that helps. Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sockeye tomorrow

You could try going to one of the bars that are only accessible by boat. But it’s my experience that those get crowded too.

So you’ve never fished the sockeye run but you have already decided that it is a gong show? I’ve driven the river from Chilliwack to Hope during sockeye season and witnessed over a thousand people who, in the majority, were having a ball and weren’t aware that it was your gong show. Why not stay home and hang on to your prejudices?
    Rarely have I gone fishing and not met someone new that made the day more interesting, even during the “gong show”.

Quote Originally Posted by GordJ View Post
    So you’ve never fished the sockeye run but you have already decided that it is a gong show? I’ve driven the river from Chilliwack to Hope during sockeye season and witnessed over a thousand people who, in the majority, were having a ball and weren’t aware that it was your gong show. Why not stay home and hang on to your prejudices?
    Rarely have I gone fishing and not met someone new that made the day more interesting, even during the “gong show”.
    Lol you have a great outlook on things. I grew up fishing the Fraser, and yeah as long as you’re not fishing next to some yahoos it’s a great time, most guys/gals are respectful and even helpful if you need a hand with something.

Love getting out and mixing with people when fishing. Just going off what I’ve read.

Quote Originally Posted by harley1 View Post
    Love getting out and mixing with people when fishing. Just going off what I’ve read.
    I sold my boat 5yrs ago..thought the fishing was going to be a thing of the past. I have numerous stories I could share that would make you laugh... and yes... call it a gong show. I dont know where people fish if they havent seen the gong show. Years ago we could drive to peg leg... and honestly, a friend of mine suggested that we get a gong to hit once it started.
    There will be someone, somewhere.. at some point every day...where you say to yourself." ok.. here we go.." lol
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    I sold my boat 5yrs ago..thought the fishing was going to be a thing of the past. I have numerous stories I could share that would make you laugh... and yes... call it a gong show. I dont know where people fish if they havent seen the gong show. Years ago we could drive to peg leg... and honestly, a friend of mine suggested that we get a gong to hit once it started.
    There will be someone, somewhere.. at some point every day...where you say to yourself." ok.. here we go.." lol
    Dad and I used to fish with a guy who seems to be at the centre of a lot of silly stuff out on the bars. I remember one time he almost put a hole in someone jet boat with his .410...

Exactly what I heard and read. I was just asking is that the only option - appears with every post, you always get someone taking wrong way, or just looking to start an argument. Reason a lot of people just lurk and don’t post. Shame

Quote Originally Posted by harley1 View Post
    Exactly what I heard and read. I was just asking is that the only option - appears with every post, you always get someone taking wrong way, or just looking to start an argument. Reason a lot of people just lurk and don’t post. Shame
    Don’t think anyone is arguing, just giving our experiences is all!

It is going to be busy. Always is. I like to fish the last 2 hours, the bars start clearing out by then. I agree there are some nice people out fishing and there are a few ass hats that give it a bad name. If you have lots of time explore a bit and see if you can find a less crowded spot. They usually are less crowded for a reason. I like to get my 2 fish and go home so I just join the crowds.
    It aint easy being green