Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening up lead split-shot sinkers

Re: Opening up lead split-shot sinkers

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I knew a guy who told me that a friend of his was talking to a friend of theirs, and said someone they knew shook hands with someone who had touched a lead wheel weight; he was hospitalized for 14 days and had his hand amputated cause the lead poisoning was so severe.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    I knew a guy who told me that a friend of his was talking to a friend of theirs, and said someone they knew shook hands with someone who had touched a lead wheel weight; he was hospitalized for 14 days and had his hand amputated cause the lead poisoning was so severe.
    Yeah, leads not toxic. How macho!
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Not sure it's that bad or would be considered a dangerous goods. When melting it should be outside

Its not polonium guys. I don’t recommend eating it but it’s safe to handle. The best way to open them is to give it a little side squeeze with some pliers; they open right up.

Good thing he didn't have a whizz or he would of likely lost his wee buddy too?

the fins cause line twist in current, but depends what/how you're fishing if that's a big deal or not

I re-use my round split all the time, just insert knife point and twist
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

So hold on, the best way to open and crimp split-shot isn't with my teeth??? I've been doing this wrong all along!

Lol......I was thinking the same thing Wjr. When I was a kid that's exactly how I did it........Might explain a few things.

Hmmm. I still use my teeth. Explains a lot about my kids being smarter than me.

A thin blade knife, such as a swiss army knife, has worked well for me. Not always, but most of the time I can work it down into the original groove and work it loose. Not safe as you're often holding it with wet hands.

I've never liked the ones with fins much myself .... the fins make them spin funny in the water.