Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August moose

August moose

Hello fellow hunters. I am planning a northern bc trip for the August 15 opening for my son and I. I am wondering how hunting moose at this time is different than typical fall hunting? I know of the issues of keeping meat cool if successful but what about the actual hunting? How is it different? What other aspects need I consider going in August compared to September and October?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: August moose

August can be tough, but be there early, all the stupid moose don't last long.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Bring lots of bug spray and a cooler/gen set.My dad used to pick off the odd early moose in Aug up off the Alaska hyw around FT. Nelson ,most memorable one was a bruiser he shot next to a dug-out ,that bull decided to die in the water,was one hell of a job getting out due to his size,he dressed
    over 850 lbs!
    Last edited by Takla; 08-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Check the regs too..a lot of places have shortened the seasons and dont open till the 23rd due to first nations concerns on harvest even though science says theres good populations..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I’ve shot a few August moose
    I’ve experienced extreme heat, 30+, wasps, mosquitoes, bugs in general
    I’ve also seen rain where the mud/gumbo is so bad that truck slides at a stand still.
    As indicated, meat biggest concern, pre plan with butcher or have arrangements in place.
    I sleep twice a day, after early hunt sleep, we don’t go out again until after 4 or 5, long days, late supper and another nap and up early.
    Some years better than others, but I recall 1 year that between friends and locals in small community, 13 bulls hit the ground on opening day.
    i have never seen such since
    Good luck
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Early morning and later evening are the best times - get out early and stay late within legal hours. Leaves make it a lot tougher to see. If it's hot, check out watering spots or licks if you can find them.

There is a lot of "shot him at first light opening day" I've seen racks on trailers at 10 in the morning outside of Clinton on opening day. The nearest area open was Pine Pass. Figure that one out.

What you are looking for is the stupid 2 year old that watched traffic with his mom last year and all spring. The older ones are careful.

It’s 100% weather based. If it’s really hot, nothing will move till after dark. If it’s cool and raining, they are always out and about. One year it was snow/rain and bulls everywhere. The next year, it was almost 25 degrees and sunny and we didn’t see much till almost dark.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Hmmm early..water..food..wind..hot..bed under cover..or up high ..wind for bug control although they font get tocouple days Hmmm same degree as caribou.
    First in Am..EARLY watch clearings, willow water, fields food.after 10..its mo longer spot and stalk..its into the shade, cover. .bedding areas..into the wind..s l o w l y...pussy foot slowly..use optics tear each piece of the area apart visually...a few STEPS...do it again..
    Evening..start your spot and stalk again.
    Citric acid 50 grams..per 1/2water bottle.. or 70 % vinigar..30 % water..lowers ph..keeps the meat salvagable a couple days longer.
    Cheers
    Steven

All of the above. I find earlier the harder it is. I prefer to do most of my hunting once the leaves are off the trees