Thread: Tikka/sako optilock ring issues

Tikka/sako optilock ring issues

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the tikka optilock rings got them last year on a new rifle and 3 separate trips my scope rotated while I was out finally got it to stay put but. Real pain in the ass, anyone else experience this, just not tite? Or scrap them and go with something else , thoughts are greatly appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tikka/sako optilock ring issues

Did you tighten them with a torque wrench to the proper specifications? I have a set on my tikka and they work great. I did have the base come loose after a couple years so I now I do a retorque on all the bolts once a year and I know I’ll never have a issue. Torque wrenches are cheap. Like 70$ at Cabela’s.
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

Had optilocks on 3 tikkas and had problems with all of them coming loose (even putting blue loc-tite on). Put on picatinny rail, burris signature or night force rings and never had an issue since. Had friends with the same issues (gun shot really well then after a year could not get it to shoot), rings were loose. Tightened them up and later in the season had a opportunity at a nice 160" whitetail and left him high and dry as they had loosened off during the season. Changed bases/rings the next day.

Clean all parts with alcohol and paper towel!!
    Drop of blue loctite on the base to ring screw and tighten them up square and tight.
    Snap the plastic inner sleeves onto your scope.
    Set scope and sleeves into the ring bottoms. You're going to want to check eye relief and adjust accordingly. Once they are in the right spot, secure them to the action.
    Line up the gap in the sleeve with your ring gaps on one side.
    If they are stainless rings, lightly oil the ring cap screws, the silver coating on the screws makes them bind badly if they are dry.
    You want an even ring gap on both sides of the ring cap when you are done, and the gap in the sleeve to remain aligned with the ring cap gap.
    Level your scope and snug the ring caps down evenly to 18 inch lbs with a good torque wrench.
    Very important to make sure the sleeves are centered and not sticking out more on one side of the ring cap when you are tightening down.
    Go over the ring cap screws several times as the plastic sleeves seem to take a couple minutes to compress.
    Take a pencil and make a line on your scope in front of one of the ring caps, this way if it moves you will see it right away!
    Take your torque wrench with you to the range, during your first few shots, go over the ring cap screws a couple times and re torque to 18 inch lbs.
    My experience has been that if these rings allow your scope to move, it's usually due to not cleaning the oil off them before installing, not alighning the parts properly, or not torquing things to spec. Optilocs take a few minutes to install correctly, but are a great ring and very kind to scope finishes

Scrap them and go with Talley lightweights....problem solved and inexpensive.

I put Talleys on all my rifles. Get a torque driver and tighten everything down properly and you will never have an issue. Sometimes I put a very small amount of loctite on but it is not necessary.

Thanks for the info!

Those Talley rings are wierd no bases they just go straight to the rifle? Seems odd to me

IIntegrated one piece lightweight rings....work very well. Little drop of loc-tite on base screws only not the ring screws. Assume you are mounting on T3. Low height works well with up to 40mm obj
    Last edited by northof49; 08-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Perfect thanks