Thread: where to look for long bows?

where to look for long bows?

I know nothing about bow hunting as it doesn't interest me in the slightest. however, my SiL had a very nice custom long bow made and apparently it was destroyed in a move several years ago (before I knew him). I've got a rifle for him, but I'd like to look into what can be done to source him a good long bow, as that's where his interests really lie.

now he's a big brute, 6.2" and strong as heck.

can anyone point out where we should look to find something suitable to his size and strength, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    eeeewwwww!! Factory ammo...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: where to look for long bows?

I have an 80lb Checkmate long bow. Let me know if you have any interest.

A 50 lb bow is more than enough for him and he probably will pull it farther than 28" so it will be even stronger than 50 lb. The black hunter takedown long bow is a great value and can be ordered on line. What do you wanna spend?

contact greybark...

Being that tall his draw is likely to be 30"+ so bear that in mind, (usually) +2# per extra inch of draw beyond the industry standard of 28", maybe more if the bow is shorter (or crap)
    Downside with longbows is the lack of flexibility so you're stuck with the weight over a cheaper take down recurve which extra limbs can be got - lighter ones to learn on, the very boring and generic advice you'll get from anyone who knows will be to start light (less than 30) and learn to shoot and then decide on your draw weight based on your personal needs. My bows, barring two are 45# and lighter, that is the trend now with better designs, limb composition and arrow choice, heavy (traditional) bows are going the way of the dinosaur (except by the dinosaurs that still insist on them!) bows have moved on from the notorious Howard Hill style longbows.
    Besides 40# is the minimum legal draw weight (at your draw length) for everything except buffalo in the province (IIRC)

Get him along to a club or an event and meet archers, theres lots of guys in this game willing to help. But if you contact the Osoyoos Traditional Archery School (Brock Paton) he has a few longer handmade longbows for sale. I'll be seeing him this weekend if you want me to ask him (email your details to me) but we'll be in NS for the next week or so shooting in the Canadian Nationals if he's not in a mega rush?

Greybark is probably busy at the lathe making pretty bowls

hey all, I've got some stuff up for sale trade and just received an offer for a LH Bowtech Insanity. seems it's an older model, but that doesn't mean it's bad. gentlemen offering doesn't use it as he's a righty, so it may have been sitting for some time. all that aside though, any advise on what kind of questions I should ask about it and any picture close up's I should request?

thank you for your help!

Best value on a new LB out there is Chek-Mates Stamp River model . Various wood combinations and the take down aspect allows you to start ( as Onecider ) suggests at a lower learning poundage bearing in mind that 40 lbs is hunting requirement . Stronger limbs if desired can be added later . Keep in touch with dealers in regards to used bows .
    Again as (Onecider) points out a visit to an archery club or 3-D event is an excellent way to start .
    Cheers , now back to the Lathe !
    Last edited by greybark; 08-03-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

is there a website for Chek Mate and their available products? I can't find hide nor hair...anywhere.

Years ago , but info can be Boormans in NewW or Windfeather Archery Traditions (Monty) 250 426 8565 Cranbrook . Monty usually has a good selection of new and used .
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC