Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Hardcore Archery Experience

Unhappy My Hardcore Archery Experience

My experience with Hardcore Archery

I called Hardcore Archery up the beginning of July to talk about having my bow restrung.
    I talked to Ken and he asked if I wanted factory strings or Hardcore archery strings. I asked what the benefits of each were and he went on to tell me that they stretch their strings for 24hours under the same weights as the Hoyt factory, but that they only stretch (HOYT) theirs for 1hour. So I was like sounds good, lets get HA strings. And I asked that he could just reference from the old string where to put the peep and the kisser knot. And he said absolutely thats how they would put in the new peep and kisser.
    I live on Vancouver Island and remotely at that, and can't just run down to Cabelas, etc. So I mailed it to Kelowna via bus for $66 one way. The cost of the HA strings was $180, and I asked them to cut some arrows for me as well. So the following day their employee Krista calls to get payment info and I ask about the cams being timed and the peep being aligned and I get a delayed, "yes" answer.
    Today, I get the call my bow has come back and another $55 for transport. I get it home and unpack it and as sure as the sky is blue, the peep I can visually see, even without getting my bow out of the case, is not aligned. Awesome. $121 in shipping. $228 in string and arrow cutting cost later and peep is not aligned.
    The previous place I took to get restrung 2 years ago, Buckys in Duncan, also sent my bow back, peep unaligned. WTF???
    I don't know anything about being a bow tech, but I do know that when I called HA this afternoon that Ken was not there and I talked to Chuck, that he told me to take 30 shots and put it in a bow Vise and turn the bottom string left or right or something. I DONT HAVE A BOW PRESS otherwise I would have changed the strings myself. So now I'm upset. Seriously.
    Why would they not have done that already?
    Chuck told me the peep was centred when it was sent and theres lots of reasons why it could have turned or blah blah blah. Well for one the D-loop wasn't aligned with the peep so, how could that be? I asked. He said theres lots of reason why it could turn. Even if the serving was melted to the d-loop and locked in with the melted string material. OK then.
    Honestly there has got to be a bow technician out there that stands behind their work and sends the item back as it should be, Peep centred.

So I am sure some of you think Hardcore Archery is the bees knees. Which is why I sent it there in the first place. There was numerous good things mentioned on HBC. Now I have to retune my bow, unbeknownst to me how, and get this peep sorted out. Chuck did mention to put my release on the string draw the bow and put a screwdriver through the bottom cam and then switch the string left or right or whatever, and Im sure I'll do that wrong. Because oh, did I mention, I'm not a bow tech. And why wasn't this done?

Super frustrating, has anyone got any ideas on a great Bow tech that stands behind their work and doesn't make the customer have to finish their job for them?
    So far I know that Bucky's doesn't .
    And now, I know Hardcore Archery doesn't.
    I know I have read where people move the d-loop to the same as the peep, but I don't want to do that. I had to do that for the last set from Buckys. Im over it. I know that it can be done, and don't think I'm asking for the world here. Just a properly tuned bow, with aligned peep. Oh and the kisser knot would've been nice to have been re-set like the old string. So now I get to learn how to serve in a kisser knot and turn my string, I guess. Sure hope I don't get hurt trying to get the string right.
    Anyways thats been my experience with Hardcore Archery. Hopefully yours is better. I wish them continued success. But I won't be going back there.
    Regards, IMD

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My Hardcore Archery Experience

you're not alone with bad experiences. I've had issues with Valley Firearms. For me it's nearly a 2hr round trip. The bow tech there is a very nice guy but his care level seems to be extremely low. Very frustrated with him and his inability to get me setup properly after a restringing.

My hunting partner had the same issue and now goes to Obsessed based in Montrose.

I cannot recommend anyone to you, but just know that I have had a similar experience. misery loves company ....?

what a big baby...

i hope you dont hunt with that thing if you dont know how to make such a basic adjustment...
    twist peep until where desired..add glue or thread to hold straight...
    also wayne big game archery is great tech

Just set up an appointment with Joanne at Island Outfitters and you will be golden

Shooting a bow is like playing a guitar. At one point if you really want to understand it and be comfortable with everything, you need to learn how to tune it yourself and do some basic modifications or alterations. Even the best strings need a peep adjustment after a bit of shooting

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    what a big baby...

i hope you dont hunt with that thing if you dont know how to make such a basic adjustment...
    twist peep until where desired..add glue or thread to hold straight...
    also wayne big game archery is great tech
    I dunno if I’d call him a baby, if you paid for a job to be done a certain way wouldn’t that be your expectation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Shooting a bow is like playing a guitar. At one point if you really want to understand it and be comfortable with everything, you need to learn how to tune it yourself and do some basic modifications or alterations. Even the best strings need a peep adjustment after a bit of shooting
    Agree with Rackmastr. Bows are or can be finicky and you should get some degree of proficiency in maintaining and tuning it. There is usually no archery shop near elk, moose, sheep camp and you have to do your own. Having said that, like anything finicky, it will be difficult to find someone to meet all of your expectations. someone mentioned Obsessed Optics and I know that Steve is able and dedicated but he's a hell of a long ways from Van Isle. I have had no issues whatsoever with Ken at Vlley firearms either. Good luck to you.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Buy a portable press, they're somewhat cheap, I use a Synunm, it's great, there are others that are well reviewed, make sure you get adapters if your bow needs them.

Start watching youtube videos on what you want to do, knockon has pretty much everything covered, but there are a ton of others as well. To be honest it's not as hard as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    Buy a portable press, they're somewhat cheap, I use a Synunm, it's great, there are others that are well reviewed, make sure you get adapters if your bow needs them.

Start watching youtube videos on what you want to do, knockon has pretty much everything covered, but there are a ton of others as well. To be honest it's not as hard as you might think.
    Synunm is an amazing piece of gear in my toolbox!

my first post may have come off wrong..i agree with all of above comments...you should no your gear yourself was my point...dam 42degrees celious make me short worded..being a commercial builder we can not realy on any body...a true trade should do it better but you have to know the fundamentals and be able to jump in yourself on the rough times...maybe not as good as the pro but basic.
    i have had peeps twist on me twice (string twist)slow down look and adjust..
    my dad had a scope mounted by a smith..after 10 days in the kolpin case she was out of line...upon inspection on a elk hunt after a messy seen it was apparent no lock tight was used...on screws..i was pissed but that is not going to get dad back in the game..lock tight was applied..resighted and back at it...spare gun stayed locked away..your tools maintence basic requirments is always on the operator of the tool or he is at the mercy of mechanical failure..