Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Re: Getting started hunting - first $5000

This thread was extremely useful and helped guide my decisions. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a hunter yet, more of an armed hiker, but I've been comfortable and safe.
    I've gotten out as much as I can and have seen a good chunk of nature, and that's really the point, isn't it?

Thanks again for all the responses, looking forward to being more active in the forum community.

boots, tent, sleeping bag, pack, then Bino's would be my list.

But it depends, do you have reasonable cloths to wear?
    are you shooting longer distances? (if so range finder)

Hey Louiedogg, I missed this thread from a couple years ago but came across it earlier today and then thought about what contribution I could add aside from the input from the many members who responded. Coming back to the original question you posed, I would say the two things that I've valued quite a bit and would add to this thread are a good jacket and a wall tent. My jacket keeps me warm and dry and has numerous pockets.. It cost around $400 and was a game changer for staying out in cold or miserable weather. Then, there's nothing better after a long day out in the field then getting back to camp, firing up the wood stove to warm up and having lots of room to stretch out in a wall tent. I'd love to have a camper or trailer, however those aren't in the budget with two teenage kids and a mortgage while living in the city.

Keep up the hiking. You'll connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Louiedogg View Post
    Is there a brand that stands out for boots?
    Never hurts to revisit an old thread. Regarding footwear, I feel it depends when you're hunting and what. I have done well for a long time on two types of boots, Asolo TPS (not just a good hiker, they'll stand up under a load) and Hoffman Mountaineer felt pacs. After 25 years of the same Hoffman boot, I just ordered a new pair. Anytime it's wet, that's my go to boot.

In 50 years of hunting I never needed a 45/70 for bear protection . I only packed my 30/06 that I bought back in 1974 . I just wonder how many hunters out there that ever saw a bear ( Grizzly ) while hunting Elk, moose or deer ??
    And if you ever came close, it was always to late to use!!

Well you could have the best optics money can buy, but if you're to cold and miserable to use them what's the point. If it was me, I would first invest in quality clothing and footwear,and bedding ! That being said I would invest in wool products as much as I could. I just wish I would have figured that out before I spent a lot of money on some of the big name products like under armour, which is highly overrated IMO. You've got to plan for all types of weather conditions, and the proper gear to meet those conditions. One area that we hunt while on the spot and stock we were peeling off layers and stuffing them our pack's. The next year it was -27 with blowing snow. A question that's come up a couple of times is what boots? With our group we all bring 4 pairs of footwear to deer camp. A good comfortable pair for around camp, muck boots. Six inch 400 thinsulate, and 10in cold weather boots, 800 to 1000 installation,and all waterproof. And at least six pairs of high quality socks. Some good suggestions on this thread.

Boots, binoculars and clothing under a thousand.
    Spend the other $4k on gas - scouting, learning about game habits.
    We started hunting with a $20 Lee Enfield, a Wool check coat and the boots we already owned.
    It ain't the high end equipment that gets the game.
    Boots on the ground, and do more looking than mileage. Find where your game eats, gets water and beds down. Insert yourself quietly between. Shoot game .