Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Re: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Is there a specific brand that stands out for boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Boots. If you have warm, dry and comfortable feet the rest of the day is easy.

After that depends on how what to hunt. Base camp with day trips, back country expeditions, etc. That will determine if money goes to a nice wall tent set up or lightweight packing gear.
    Is there a brand that stands out for boots?

Swaro Binos-10x42, Stone glacier Pack, High end boots (Hanwag, Kenetrek, Crispy, or Scarpas), and Minimum Leupold or Higher quality scope(Swaro,Ziess, or Nightforce). That otta eat up $5K real quick but you will have quality gear that will last you a life time with little or no trouble.

gas and time off..

two most important things.

Quote Originally Posted by Louiedogg View Post
    Is there a brand that stands out for boots?
    The best boots are the ones that are comfortable and waterproof.

I won't comment on specific gear, but I'll say this. Whatever you buy, buy quality, do your research, and only wince once at the till. Unless you're really caught up int he resurgence of hunting brands, think about what you need the gear to do and find that. A lot of outdoors brands make great gear that can be used for hunting (Eg. optics, clothing, etc.) but does not come with the hunting brand price tag.

With most precision gear: technical clothing, optics, firearms, you get what you pay for.

10,000 hrs to master a skill, doesn't matter how expensive you gear is. Like mentioned above, putting your hours in is the best way to be successful. The deer won't care if you're wearing Sitka or Walmart camo....

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    gas and time off..

This...

you will get WAY more out of hunting more time in field you spend. I know guys who have all top end stuff but can only hunt 1 week a year... they usually get jack.
    Boots to ground 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Louiedogg View Post
    I'm new to hunting, later in life. I have some money to spend and I want to do it right. I fully support the "Buy once, cry once" method of purchasing.
    For a newbie - with certain gear - "Buy once, cry once" is really "Buy twice, cry twice"...
    My personal example:
    For my 40th birthday my Dad bought me Leica binoculars in 10X42 (yeah, nice Dad). I found out that:
    1) After hiking or other strong exertion I can't hold 10 power steady, I need 8 power
    2) I'm a poor judge of distance so I actually use my rangefinder most of the time and no longer bring binoculars.

Buy gear where you know you can rely on the gear, but where you won't cry if it turns out that gear is not something you end up using long term.

Generally speaking, decent mid-range gear will run you $300 - $500 (e.g. boots, daypack, binoculars, etc.). You will need to decide what type of hunting you do (e.g. do you just need a day pack, or are you going to overnight and need a multi-day pack).

If you have nothing but the gun (e.g. you need knives, rain gear, boots, etc. etc.) good mid-range gear will eat up that entire budget. On the other hand, you can go hunting with footwear suited to your environment, a knife, a gun, and regular clothes no problem.

I've recently gone through what you're dealing with and many thoughts here are easy to echo, but some thoughts to ponder to help go in the right direction are good, too:

1. What type of hunting are you doing? Deep hiking through hard terrain carrying heavy weight? Boots may be a lot different depending on what type of hunting you plan on doing. I bought great (but heavy) Scarpas that I do take out most of the time, but I'd probably be just as happy wearing my much lighter weight Scarpa Moraine mids or my Salomon mids - more of a "regular" hiker instead of a heavy duty boot. Comfort is key. I just got new Salomon Ultra 3 mids and they're a great weight for 90% of the time. If you watch some of the "what's in your pack?" types of vids on youtube, you'll notice a lot of the guys don't wear the big heavy boots. Not saying that makes it right or wrong, but something to consider.

2. David hit it on the head in the post above. It's not always buy once, cry once. My first binos are stellar 10x42s from Meopta/Cabelas. And they're great. But do I take them all of the time? Eh, I might stop this year. I've spent some time trying to figure out my "optics system" and think I'll be using my Maven 8x30s for the quick scanning and a pair of 15s (have inexpensive Alpens right now) on a tripod for true glassing. What terrain are you hunting? Do you need a spotter? A lot of people don't in a lot of BC as you're hunting heavy timber where you're only glassing a few hundred yards of cut blocks or the like. Are you hunting sheep in wide open alpine? Then yes, you probably do need one. My point is that your first purchase may not be your end result. No matter how hard you try to get it right. Do you need a rangefinder? Lots of $$$ can go to Optics.

3. Backpacks...this is a topic that baffles me. The number of guys that carry basic daypacks stuffed with gear, but that can't haul meat...I don't get it. If I'm going away from my vehicle with the intent to shoot something that I will then have to carry back to my vehicle....I want something that can haul meat. I don't know that I'd get the same pack next time around, but I have a Kuiu Icon Pro with a few bag sizes, but 99% of my needs can be covered with the 3200 (small enough for a daypack and big enough to carry enough for, in theory, a few nights if you pack light). I'd maybe go Stone Glacier or Exo if I did it again, but kinda same/same. But regardless, something that can haul meat.

4. Clothing? Tons of options. My preference is good merino and quiet. Kuiu (Attack pants are practically daily wear for me outside of summer), First Lite (Obisidian merino pants are awesome) are great, but a lot of options exist. It doesn't have to be fancy. Comfort is key, again. You can easily get away with a good technical pair of pants (but finding a pair that's quiet but that isn't from a hunting company may be a challenge...but Prana makes some stellar pants), a merino shirt from Costco, a tech overshirt, a cheap puffy (Costco again? Last season's colours from Arcteryx, Patagonia, etc if you want higher quality), and some rain gear and spend a total of less than $500 and be well equipped with clothing. Or you can spend $5000 and be even better equipped. But you probably don't need to.

If it were me....I'd probably break it down something like this:

1. Boots - lighter weight mids - $150 (just got mine on sale for $130....there's a Friends and Family event on now at some sporting goods/outdoor stores, for example)

2. Binos - Maven B3 8x30 - $500 USD, Maven B4 15x56 (on sale from 1400 USD to $1150 USD right now with a code) or Meopta B.1 15x56 (slightly pricier in Canada but half a pound less weight). Might not bother with a spotter...although I did just get Kowa 553. Rangefinder - you can go top quality with a Leica for $800 or so or get a decent Leupold or Sig Sauer for ~$500. Tough call on that. But this is really where the budget skyrockets. If you go for some averages and end up with two decent pairs of binos and a rangefinder, you can eat up $3k right there.

3. Packs - Something good is probably between $500 - $1000.

4. Clothing - $500 will do nicely.

$4700 with a few bucks for sundries. You haven't even started looking at tents, sleeping bags, pads, cooking, etc.

Really depends on the type of hunting that you'll do!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Boots....its kind of like buying a pair of jeans for yourself.....YOU need to try them on ! I like lightweight Gortex boots, Nylon exterior not leather to heavy when wet and your always treating them and they stink when wet....but thats just me lots of guys insist on leather boots ! I use Helly Hansen Odin Flow hikers.

Binos 8x42 or 10x42 I prefer 10x42 and use Leica and have for 30 years, Swarovski, Zeiss, Meopta, Kahles, any of the better optics will serve you well, don't overlook and used high end pair to save some money.

Backpack.........Mystery Ranch, Exo Mtn Gear, Stone Glacier or Kifaru.......last pack you'll need for a lot of years, I use a MR Nice frame/5500 bag, its my day pack and my 10 day pack......buy a pack with a 4000-7000 bag so you can use it as a daypack or on extended hunts

Merino Wool sox, merino light long johns and long sleeve shirts

Lightweight down sleeping bag and thermarest

Jetboil Stove

Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife.......don't leave home without it !

Again don't overlook buying used gear as you can save a lot of money and stretch that $5000.00 budget into 7000.00 pretty easy
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America