Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Getting started hunting - first $5000

I'm new to hunting, later in life. I have some money to spend and I want to do it right. I fully support the "Buy once, cry once" method of purchasing. I have experience shooting and own a number of firearms, so that isn't included in the budget. I will be using a Browning Xbolt in .270 with a Vortex Viper 3-9. I'll be starting with deer but would like to move up to elk/moose eventually. So the question I would like to pose to all of you experienced hunters is this:

Where should the next $5000 go?

Boots, pack, Merino wool? What are the most important items to have and what do you wish you had sooner in your career.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Boots. If you have warm, dry and comfortable feet the rest of the day is easy.

After that depends on how what to hunt. Base camp with day trips, back country expeditions, etc. That will determine if money goes to a nice wall tent set up or lightweight packing gear.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Boots and optics. Then clothing. And if you’re like me the optics will eat up half that budget at least.

Best boots you can afford. Best binoculars you're willing to buy. A comfortable set of camo and the rest is cake. I hunt pretty bare bones when it comes to what I carry.

Oh can't forget a GOOD pack that you're comfortable loading up and carrying. Do not skimp here !!!

Boots, Bino's, Spotting scope with tripod. Good Merino under wear, Quality rain gear. decent day pack.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Boots, binoculars, knife, and pack are a must

You mention your goal is deer well what species? In my opinion many over look that the 3 deer species act very different and to increase success they should be hunted differently. There are items I use for each species

Personally I don’t see the need to spend another 5k and advise focusing more on knowledge then gear

If I added up how much my gear costs it wouldn't add up to 5000 and that includes my truck.
    If you start out deer hunting you will not need to spend alot of money, dont get hung up on alot of shiney stuff out there on the market today, alot of it is unnecessary, imo.

Boots!
    dont buy into the high end Camo craze. Lots of hiking gear is just as good or better with cheaper price tag
    then spend the rest on gas for scouting. Grab a few trail cameras.

[QUOTE=Louiedogg;2023148]I'm new to hunting, later in life. I have some money to spend and I want to do it right. I fully support the "Buy once, cry once" method of purchasing. I have experience shooting and own a number of firearms, so that isn't included in the budget. I will be using a Browning Xbolt in .270 with a Vortex Viper 3-9. I'll be starting with deer but would like to move up to elk/moose eventually. So the question I would like to pose to all of you experienced hunters is this:

Where should the next $5000 go?

-SPOT
    -SAT. PHONE
    -ICOMS -2+ hunters
    -10x42 BINOS
    -GPS GARMIN
    -cameras
    -properly loaded GUIDE GUN(45/70) for bear protection & larger game
    -small back pack containing emergency food, water, first aid including an EpiPen, 2 space blankets, BIC & waterproof matches, extra batteries, flashlight, socks, gloves, rope/shoe laces, flagging,candle, toilet paper.
    -good quality large knife & a small folding knife + sharpeners
    -a small hatchet &/or a small folding saw
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein