Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Hybrid View

Getting started hunting - first $5000

I'm new to hunting, later in life. I have some money to spend and I want to do it right. I fully support the "Buy once, cry once" method of purchasing. I have experience shooting and own a number of firearms, so that isn't included in the budget. I will be using a Browning Xbolt in .270 with a Vortex Viper 3-9. I'll be starting with deer but would like to move up to elk/moose eventually. So the question I would like to pose to all of you experienced hunters is this:

Where should the next $5000 go?

Boots, pack, Merino wool? What are the most important items to have and what do you wish you had sooner in your career.

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting started hunting - first $5000

Boots. If you have warm, dry and comfortable feet the rest of the day is easy.

After that depends on how what to hunt. Base camp with day trips, back country expeditions, etc. That will determine if money goes to a nice wall tent set up or lightweight packing gear.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Is there a specific brand that stands out for boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Boots. If you have warm, dry and comfortable feet the rest of the day is easy.

After that depends on how what to hunt. Base camp with day trips, back country expeditions, etc. That will determine if money goes to a nice wall tent set up or lightweight packing gear.
    Is there a brand that stands out for boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Louiedogg View Post
    The best boots are the ones that are comfortable and waterproof.

I won't comment on specific gear, but I'll say this. Whatever you buy, buy quality, do your research, and only wince once at the till. Unless you're really caught up int he resurgence of hunting brands, think about what you need the gear to do and find that. A lot of outdoors brands make great gear that can be used for hunting (Eg. optics, clothing, etc.) but does not come with the hunting brand price tag.

With most precision gear: technical clothing, optics, firearms, you get what you pay for.

10,000 hrs to master a skill, doesn't matter how expensive you gear is. Like mentioned above, putting your hours in is the best way to be successful. The deer won't care if you're wearing Sitka or Walmart camo....

Quote Originally Posted by Louiedogg View Post
    Never hurts to revisit an old thread. Regarding footwear, I feel it depends when you're hunting and what. I have done well for a long time on two types of boots, Asolo TPS (not just a good hiker, they'll stand up under a load) and Hoffman Mountaineer felt pacs. After 25 years of the same Hoffman boot, I just ordered a new pair. Anytime it's wet, that's my go to boot.

What grand of boots does everyone buy or which is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerm View Post
    What grand of boots does everyone buy or which is the best?
    whatever fits your feet.... but just a few high quality brands to look at would be. kennetrek, lowa, scarpa, zamberlan, lathrop and sons, hanwag, crispi and many others... just depends on what kind of boots you want and what type of hunting you do

i wear the kennetrek orthopedic mountain extremes but will probably be trying something else this year. not particular a fan of leather boots for sheep hunts.

Boots and optics. Then clothing. And if you’re like me the optics will eat up half that budget at least.