Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting out the little guy...

Starting out the little guy...

I know I may be jumping the gun a little (pun intended)...I have a little guy that just turned 3 and it has me thinking (again) as to what would be a good stater for him - 410, 22S\L\LR, 223 Rem. I almost bought him a single shot 22 when he was about a year old, but I didn't know if he was right or left handed at the time - I am now 90% sure that he is right handed. I started with a 12 gauge, but I was quite a bit older than he will be when he starts. I am curious what others have started their boys and girls with and how you may have introduced them to the fun/dangers associated a firearm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Starting out the little guy...

Red rider bb gun..and a pop gun .

All of my kids started out shooting a crack barrel air rifle, but their first rifle was a savage rascal in 22lr. I put a cheap scope and a Harris knockoff on it so they could actually hit stuff pretty easily.

when my youngest was 6 or 7 I bought him the cheapest ruger 10/22, but it was stil too long for him so I had to put a tacticool stock on it with a red dot I had kicking around on my bench. He can burn through a few hundred rounds pretty quick with that thing in a short time. Zombie paper and reactive targets seemed to draw a lot of attention.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Red rider bb gun..and a pop gun .
    break action pellet gun, then a 22, and from there it depends on the kid and if it's for hunting or just punching paper. A 410 is great for kids and shooting chickens [less misses, more confidence], any of the smaller calibers are good for deer/bears/coyotes/gophers 243,6.5prc,25-06, 6.5cm for lower recoil, or even step up to the 308/270 with a muzzle break. But if your son is game go big, right up to your favorite gun, give it to him.

Break action pellet gun, at 10 he and his older sister (12) went through the Rascals .22 program at the NFGC to learn the safety and handling aspect from someone other than myself, at that time one of the range guys discovered that my son was actually left eye dominant and he now shoots successfully as a lefty, .22 and a .410 after that, and at 12 he got his Core and bought a .243, at 13 he moved up to a .308 and he now has a 16 gauge for birds. He of course tried my 300 win mag when he was smaller and it didn't interest him, nor does my 12 gauge, but he continually tries them when we are at the range. Let him try everything, he will tell you what he likes and you will see what he is comfortable with when out plinking and target shooting.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have recently picked up a single shot CBC 410 and an older Henry Golden Boy 22 that has seen better days but still shoots straight. I think after a good cleaning they will go away for him to use in a few years. I like the idea of a break action air rifle (maybe single shot.177) as a starting point.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

My 2 year old got a .243 for Christmas but she will start on .22 around 5 or 6 before she moves to the big gun.

Just a side note. It's not whether he is right handed or left handed, but more importantly whether he is right eye or left eye dominant. A simple hand eye test will determine that. I wish someone had told me about that way back when, so I could have started out with the correct firearms allowing both eyes open when about to shoot, without loosing focus thru the scope. For example, I am right handed, but left eye dominant. For me, I can't change now so easily. Guns all bought and old habits die hard.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Don't be a idiot, 3 years old air soft then a bb gun pellet gun the .22

Pellet then .22 then 410/22 combo then 7mm08. Grouse, rabbits, deer & maybe a moose if we ever get a LEH!