Thread: Mule Deer Scouting Trip

Mule Deer Scouting Trip

Went scouting for mule deer in the Lillooet area over the weekend up high in some basins. While I was up there, I came across these piles of droppings. They covered the entire forest floor like a carpet for nearly an acre. I have never seen anything like it. They were all approximately the same size with no real variances. What are they from and why are they so concentrated? Did a herd of migrating sheep or mule deer hole up in this exact spot for a long time while migrating to lower ground? I thought they were to large and too many to be rabbits, but I truly do not know.

Please let me know if you have any guesses or have seen this before, as I am very curious.

https://youtu.be/pFYhbJkYMk8

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mule Deer Scouting Trip

I've seen that in the high country around Lillooet before - it was in Mountain Goat country - I suspect the same for what you are seeing.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

Lots of sheep in that area. Could be a popular bedding spot, especially during winter when they're feeding on woody browse. Some of those dropping could be several years old due to the dry climate and dry winters, it's tough for the woody pellets to disintegrate.

It's a good sign of animals in the area at some point.

Interesting. It was right at the transition zone where the grassy slopes began giving way to timber and rocky outcroppings, so that makes sense. And the good news is if the basin is holding sheep in those numbers, there is going to be a mule deer or two as well I would guess.

Did a herd of migrating sheep or mule deer hole up in this exact spot for a long time while migrating to lower ground?
    No reason to head to lower ground if conditions are good
    Often the high ridges are safer from preds and may have less snow than deeper valleys
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    No reason to head to lower ground if conditions are good
    Often the high ridges are safer from preds and may have less snow than deeper valleys

That makes a lot of sense. There were cliffs right beside this area, which I assume would serve as an escape route as well.

I’m thinking goat. I came across a cave one time that looked like a barn floor inside and out. Pretty sure it was a goat wintering area
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Something must have scared them real good....

I sure hope you go back and hang a couple of trail cams in the area. It would be really cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I sure hope you go back and hang a couple of trail cams in the area. It would be really cool to see.

I am headed out there a few weekends from now and am absolutely bringing a trail camera!