Thread: Opening day elk observations LOL

Opening day elk observations LOL

Now I am not an elk hunter by any means . But I know enough not to drive around on ATVs with roughly the same stealth as a alcohol dragster pulling up to the line. Then get to a little hump in the terrain. Shut the ATV off and within 30 seconds try bugling. I've been camped at this little spot by myself for a couple of days before opening, my partner's choice, not mine, more of a camping trip any moose or elk would be accidental. Done a little bugling morning and evening before the season just for fun. Never heard anything but did see some cow elk walk across in front of my window while drinking copious amounts of coffee and enjoying the quiet. This opening morning between the thunderjet noise of the quads idling around and the 6 or more guys I could hear calling Elk It's been an entertaining. I know none of these guys are real. Elk hunters I'm sure they real elk hunters are hunting somewhere else far away from the gong show that's happening around here. Time for more coffee? Maybe some pancakes.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opening day elk observations LOL

Haha, Some guys/gals just like supporting the economy while helping in wildlife conservation. Leave them to it, we don’t want to hurt the elk population too much after all. On a bright note, the bulls are sounding off in the undisturbed areas now, good luck.

Yuppers, called a mature bull in today. Would have been packin meat if rifle was open in AB. swirly wind got me busted at 50 yards

I just watched an elk hunter on YouTube talking about the same story you have shared here. Drive in on a quad shut off the quad and start calling right away . If I can find the video again I will post it up .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Now I am not an elk hunter by any means . But I know enough not to drive around on ATVs with roughly the same stealth as a alcohol dragster pulling up to the line. Then get to a little hump in the terrain. Shut the ATV off and within 30 seconds try bugling. I've been camped at this little spot by myself for a couple of days before opening, my partner's choice, not mine, more of a camping trip any moose or elk would be accidental. Done a little bugling morning and evening before the season just for fun. Never heard anything but did see some cow elk walk across in front of my window while drinking copious amounts of coffee and enjoying the quiet. This opening morning between the thunderjet noise of the quads idling around and the 6 or more guys I could hear calling Elk It's been an entertaining. I know none of these guys are real. Elk hunters I'm sure they real elk hunters are hunting somewhere else far away from the gong show that's happening around here. Time for more coffee? Maybe some pancakes.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Now I am not an elk hunter by any means . But I know enough not to drive around on ATVs with roughly the same stealth as a alcohol dragster pulling up to the line. Then get to a little hump in the terrain. Shut the ATV off and within 30 seconds try bugling. I'm sure the real elk hunters are hunting somewhere else far away from the gong show that's happening around here.
    We were out early for the opening day with the dogs and were laughing as well at how loud the ATVs were going up and down the roads. I didn’t hear anyone try bugling though, so I guess my local dumbasses are a tiny bit smarter.

Speaking of dumbasses, I did find three birds today, and one on the 29th that had definitely been poached. Pisses me off big time, but aside from knowing they drive a smaller vehicle with Duratracs on it, I’ve got nothing to give COs to work with.

Hope the rest of your trip is entertaining!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.