Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain saw advice wanted

Chain saw advice wanted

Looking to buy a new (larger) chainsaw for back yard work and fire wood mostly.

Ive been looking at the Husky 362xp but have no experience with that saw and limited experience with saws in this class.

intersted in hearing experiences and options on what mid size saw is best and what you’ve used the saws for primarily

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Chain saw advice wanted

Husky rancher is going to be your best friend. Have been using mine for 5years now. Cut approximately 20 cords a year plus yard work

Do you mean the 365XP, 562XP or the 372. I don't believe they make a 362. For back yard work and fire wood I don't think you need the 365 or 372 which are both 70cc saws. The 562XP is 60 cc and is a great all round saw. I have the 555 which is 60 cc and does all that I need and can take up to a 24" bar I believe. The 555 X Torque is a professional model but not the next step up which is the XP series (562XP is the same but in XP). Personally I would stay away from the lower level series of Rancher, the X Torque or XP are abetter quality. As the saying goes, buy once, cry once. I bought a professional model 266 in the early 1980's, put hundreds of hours on it and it never failed for 30 years until it finally packed it in.

I also use the Husky 555 with a 20" bar for firewood. Does everything i need, starts easy. No problems with it

im a faller on the north island, I've used huskies and stihls. i don't have a lot of experience with the little saws, but i can say that with the bigger ones from my experience stihls out class huskies by far, i had to carry a lot of spare parts running huskies and work on them weekly, stihls, i pull the cord and go to work with no problems. that being said if your not running them that much, id imagine both brands will be good

https://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ms/chainsaw.9/ would be the better place to be asking about chainsaw advice...

I'm partial to the husqvarna 55 (55 rancher) size saw as well. Nice balance between weight and cutting power. While the husqvarna 55 is not considered a "pro" saw it has served me faithfully since 1997.

I guess, the next logical question is how much firewood do you plan on bucking up in a year? 2-4 pickup loads? 30-40 pickup loads?
    edit: and what diameter tree?
    Last edited by westcoaster; 07-28-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Been using my 034 stilh since the early 90's. .
    .changed the spark plug for the first time this year.

I use a stihil 261c with 22 inch bar to cut about 30 truck loads of firewood a year, work on my property, and clear blow down out hunting/fishing. No issues what so ever and plenty of power for my needs

I have used huskies and don’t find them near as comfortable to work with. The arborists and fallers I know say the new stihils are more reliable then the new huskies but husky is still second choice

The main thing is don’t buy a cheap model if you want quality out of either brand

Have been using Stilh for yrs 036 and 034 with 20" bars, 036 is for sale, like new condition with spare chain.

I put a 24" bar and skip tooth on my 55 rancher. Starts first or second pull every time even at -20. Great saw for the price.