Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF gives hunters the middle finger

Re: BCWF gives hunters the middle finger

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I sorta agree with the ethics part of the core course almost teaching us to be ashamed. Wild one explained it pretty well.

There was a time when the prevailing attitude was "be discrete" about hunting and shooting. People thought that would get anti hunters and gun people to forget about them, when all it really did was turn hunting and shooting into a "dirty little secret" which always makes people fear and loathe you.

The only way to make advancements is use the same tactics as women, minorities and gays used- Be visible, blow your own horn and control the dialogue.
    Yet this site keeps deleating pictures and posts it doesn't want a lot of what goes on let out, still want things kept a secret.

Isn’t that what some here are complaining about? BCWF is too much conservation and not representing hunters enough?
    Conservation...cripe sake hunters been on them for years to cut back tags..shorten seasons..stop calf seasons. All for conservation...Watch the video..put your tinfoil hat on and look at the result.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Isn’t that what some here are complaining about? BCWF is too much conservation and not representing hunters enough?
    How does the mandate of “maximum access and harvest opportunity” fit into the conservation plan?

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    John, you’re right on the hunting community being divided but not as bad as some might think.
    The drama that plays out on HBC is far from the real world.

Theres still a lot of common goals and objectives that can be worked towards and that’s what will pull hunters back together.

As for this not being solved by the same old players under a new brand, I saw maybe/maybe not.
    One thing these “same old player” have is recognition as to what is wrong with the “old groups” they were once part of.

All the old groups have bagage...a new one that can flush out the shit and move forward working toward the betterment of habitat and wildlife while representing outdoors people and hunters can only be a winner.

For a group to be successful it’s going to need resident hunters, outdoor enthusiasts, resource users and First Nations all at the table.
    Picking battles with stakeholders that should be partners in habitat and wildlife enhancement is pointless.

Some seem to like keeping the post stirred...it’s going to be damn interesting why if and when their agenda shows clear.

One thing to think about is that conservation groups that are mascarading environmentalists and most likely anti hunting motives are not our friends.
    JMO
    Cant deny I have trust issues lol

I do see a need for new blood overall but there is use for old blood as long as they don’t carry an old axe to grind

Maybe this question is best asked with a new thread...however....

Is it time for a new "federation" in BC whose mission statement advocates primarily for the rights of hunters (and fishers and shooters?) in the Province?
    I don't want to get into the "right or wrong" of the BCWF, but only throwing it out there for discussion.

I know the BCWF has, at their core, the best interests of fish and wildlife at heart. Fair enough. Nothing wrong with that. While they also advocate hunting and fishing (and yes, gun ownership) rights however, that doesn't seem to be their "primary" focus.

I am all for the proper, well thought out conservation policies when it comes to fish and wildlife in our province, and I don't necessarily disagree with the BCWF's approach to that end.

I feel that the BCWF advocates for fish and wildlife (rightly so) in BC and includes hunters and fishers who agree with that.
    I don't, however, see the BCWF as an organization who campaigns for the rights of hunters/fishers/shooters first, and then vigorously touts the concerns and passion of those people which, ultimately I'm sure, is the advocacy for fish and wildlife in BC.

Maybe I can sum it up like this. I want the best for fish and wildlife. So does some guy on a kayak drooling over a grizzly sighting on the coast. I have nothing in common with that guy. Nothing at all. I hunt, he doesn't.

Below is one of the "objectives" of the BCWF...

"To develop and support a comprehensive educational program to make all British Columbians aware of the value of British Columbia's fish, wildlife, park and outdoor recreational resources, and to arouse in the public conscience a recognition of, and a respect for, the place of fish, wildlife and outdoor recreation in the wise integrated use of the nation's natural resources."

I want an organization that holds my hunting/fishing/shooting rights first and foremost. I will not "join forces" with any groups such as Raincoast. Ever.

I am looking for a group of people who will fight for my rights as a hunter, fisher, and firearms owner in BC. If such a group needs to be formed, supported, joined.....I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Conservation...cripe sake hunters been on them for years to cut back tags..shorten seasons..stop calf seasons. All for conservation...Watch the video..put your tinfoil hat on and look at the result.
    How does the mandate of “maximum access and harvest opportunity” fit into the conservation plan?
    So now you guys say there is too much “hunter” and there isn’t enough “conservation”

Ok then ...carry on...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Again, giving hunters too much credit toward being the problem with wildlife
    Wildlife will succeed as long as it has value. Value diminishes on a steeper curve than loss of opportunity, hunters cherish the chance to go hunting
    If it was only about putting meat on the table, numbers and support for hunting would vanish
    Take a looka thte increased numbers of new hunters, at a time when soap boxers are crying about no game in BC. They want to hunt and are not the ones crying about 'what it used to be like'

And about The Fed having the wrong direction, who do people think drives the bus? The annual convention is when most of the science and information gets disseminated to the various club reps, and if there was a try ground swell of opposition to a direction of the Fed, wouldn't it come up then as a major controversy? Changes and movements start aat the roots level and move up,, those that have traction get support, those that don't die on the floor
    Ideas and resolutions get vetted and live or die according to their true value among the majority.

Tough to believe any of the nay-sayers have ever been part of the process or they would have a chance at seeing things in play
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post

And about The Fed having the wrong direction, who do people think drives the bus? The annual convention is when most of the science and information gets disseminated to the various club reps, and if there was a try ground swell of opposition to a direction of the Fed, wouldn't it come up then as a major controversy? Changes and movements start aat the roots level and move up,, those that have traction get support, those that don't die on the floor
    Ideas and resolutions get vetted and live or die according to their true value among the majority.

Tough to believe any of the nay-sayers have ever been part of the process or they would have a chance at seeing things in play
    Is the grass roots membership driving the bus at the convention when appr 300 people are in attendance of what is alleged to be an organization of 50,000?
    A little more than half of 1% seems like piss poor grass roots representation.

So now you guys say there is too much “hunter” and there isn’t enough “conservation”

Ok then ...carry on...
    Gates....I’m curious.....have you ever sat in on any wildlife stakeholder meetings at the provincial, regional or sub-regional level dealing with habitat enhancement, wildlife population declines, proposed regulation changes for harvest numbers and access restrictions ?
    Wondering............

Is the grass roots membership driving the bus at the convention when appr 300 people are in attendance of what is alleged to be an organization of 50,000?
    A little more than half of 1% seems like piss poor grass roots representation.
    if 50,000 spoke up, we wouldn't be in this predicament
    If 1 in 10 chose to bear a flag, think of the strength
    As it is, the majority of those that do show up set the direction
    and the vast majority of BC hunters are okay with it
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole